hello

dan1984

Reaction score
hi i from canada and interested in the carp fishing as we have carp here.not a lot of fishing done for them.I spend a lot of time fishing the white sturgeon but,always see carp in the spring jumping all over in the back waters.was kinda wondering about trying for them this spring.if any one may send me a little bit of imfo i would be grateful.we arent allowed to ground bait here,but if you see them they should take i think anyways,please drop me a line thanks!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Hi Sturgeon fisher. Personally I don't think anyone would bother fishing for carp in the UK if there were fish available to catch in the rivers here like there are in Canada. Nothing even comes close to a sturgeon for fighting ability.

Whenever I have fished for carp in North America, it has been a very easy task compared with fishing for them in the UK or Europe. As so few people target carp there, they are comparatively easy to catch. All the fish here are caught and returned over and over again - so they wise up pretty quick.

Try a few grains of maize on a hair-rig. You won't need to groundbait - if the fish are there and are feeding, they will take the bait.

Colin North the one and only

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. We don't have many sturgeon in the UK although there are one or two places where they have been stocked. I caught one or two small ones. Really strange looking fish. Almost as if they have an exo skeleton.

dan1984

Reaction score
thanks guys

I will giver a go this spring,I have talked with a couple people who have fished carp here they said try corn sit it right on the bottom,but if you see them splashing on the surface wouldnt you wanna fish near the surface.any way i will just try both.But for now cause its still winter i will be out steelhead fishing.Oh and not to brag biggest sturgeon 11ft is my best appr 850lb

Rickrod

Reaction score
850lb thats some fish welcome to fm sturgeon fisher

dan1984

Reaction score
haahaa sorry we use eels for bait but they are just little ones