Torquay Tinca Tamers

slb

Reaction score
Seems there is a bit of interest in me running a tench fishing fest down here on the glorious English Riviera.

It was great to meet up with some very friendly faces on the Bristol Avon at Steve Spiller's do; some becoming familiar, others hopefully will do in time. That was my first real experience of an FM fish-in and has whetted my appetite for more if my match fishing calendar allows.
(Special shout out to Andy Nellist - the advice was brilliant, I'm going to counter sue for all I'm worth and have decided to not let the situation affect my planning for this year in the way it has done so far. Hence me getting straight into this idea.)

I looked at dates and decided to avoid the weekend of 15th/16th May as it may coincide with a Clattercote KC Memorial.
That suggests 29th/30th May (change of plan - might be difficult getting a hotel over Bank Holiday, so either 5th/6th June or 12th/13th) , which is the bank holiday weekend. Same time that ****ie and Lunghi Jim came down last year, so they can help to big up the fishing.

There is a Travelodge close to me at the top end of town and a Premier Inn on the seafront for accommodation, excellent Chinese for snap, couple of great 'character' pubs, all within walking distance of one another or very short taxi rides at most.

I'll expand on the fishing once I have confirmed names, but basically lake fishing on three different clay pits. Tench average 5lb, good chance of a 7lber, possible double. Bream around 6-8lb on one of the lakes as well, plus roach, perch, skimmers and eels mainly.
Won't be massive nets of fish but someone should have 6-8 tench in a morning, others may have one or two and there will be a couple of blanks.
£6 per day, I'll organise tickets in advance and top quality casters for those who want them.

So first up, let me know how the date sounds...

Last edited:

slime monster

Reaction score
slime-monster-albums-slimes-piccys-picture1197-jse-003.jpg

Just to whet your appetite ..this is what you can expect

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Sounds great Steve, it's my birthday in May :D

Did you mention roach? :wh

I'll check with the Boss and get back to you.....
Just a thought, what about putting a tent up nearby as opposed to accomodation? Might make it a bit cheaper? And it is the English Riviera after all.....

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Thanks Slime, (very kind offer) but it's half-term and I thought we could bring Joel, he loves camping (possible long weekend?) and he's rather good at catching tench :wh ask ****y. Joel had a write-up done last time when he whooped our butts! I couldn't believe he got it out on the wag and my little 501!:eek:

slime monster

Reaction score
No problem mate
PS
The "OP" was Monday of this week ,another chapter in a total NHS f##k up ,we were there all afternoon and when they eventually took her to theatre out cold she woke up to be told they had done manipulation and were not going to operate as it was setting as good as it could do ....,as it happened she was in a lot of pain for a few days but it is getting better so I would not have been happy with myself if I had disappeared for the weekend.

Last edited:

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I thought it was tomorrow mate.....doh! :eek:
Give her a lot of TLC................and book the next fish-in;):D

Ran it by the Boss and it could be a go-er, Friday till Tuesday camping, don't wanna hit the M5 on a bank holiday Monday:eek:

Suss us out a campsite ;)

Reaction score
Seems there is a bit of interest in me running a tench fishing fest down here on the glorious English Riviera.

That suggests 29th/30th May, which is the bank holiday weekend. Same time that ****ie and Lunghi Jim came down last year, so they can help to big up the fishing.

So first up, let me know how the date sounds...

It's a cracking venue, with some lovely fish. Me and Jim were talking about it last night,

The last time we fished there, an old boy came wandering past in a proper fishing reverie/ trance; he'd just had his first 9lb'er!

Tench-a-go-go! Count me and Jim in!

slb

Reaction score
Put a couple of alternative dates on the first page to avoid the Bank Holiday, but if Steve can make it I say let's go for it!

The venue is 8 miles from Torquay, so travel in the evenings for social purposes would be harder but not impossible.

You can bivvy up for those who would prefer to, costs £10 for a 24 hour ticket.

There are plenty of campsites nearby, I'll do some research. The one I have recommended before is called Widdicombe Farm. Don't think they have a website but they are on 01803 558325.
Don't do a search for Widecombe or you'll end up on the moor!

J K

Reaction score
Put a couple of alternative dates on the first page to avoid the Bank Holiday, but if Steve can make it I say let's go for it!

The venue is 8 miles from Torquay, so travel in the evenings for social purposes would be harder but not impossible.

You can bivvy up for those who would prefer to, costs £10 for a 24 hour ticket.

There are plenty of campsites nearby, I'll do some research. The one I have recommended before is called Widdicombe Farm. Don't think they have a website but they are on 01803 558325.
Don't do a search for Widecombe or you'll end up on the moor!

They do have a website HERE. I'm interested in joining you.

slb

Reaction score
OK, let's just go for the Bank Holiday weekend.
I'll start compiling a list of who wants some of this:

Mewithtench.jpg

at the end of the week. I'll then lay down the order of business for confirmed bookings.

Here we go...