Thermal Suit

Ian Parker 2

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good thermal waterproof suit for anything upto £100.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Welcome to the site mate.

Does it have to be waterproof or just warm?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I'm looking for one and can I say, it's a dreadful marketplace and I haven't put a limit on.

Tell you one that looks nice - the Trakker Arctic 3-in-1 bundle @£99 - that's if it fits you? If you are a little ample, like myself, even the XXL will be too tight. Dreadful sizing!!!

The ESP jacket looks like a maternity smock, handy when you go in the pub and your mate asks "Are you having one?" It really will look like you are!

I wanted to try the Sundridge IQ Arctic 2 piece, but they only order them on request so I couldn't try it. However, my fishing pal to Ireland, Andy Nellist, swears by the Sundridge Igloo suit, which is the SAME material!

Whatever you decide to go for - try it on before buying - fully zipped up as on some the necks are so tiny!

The entire fishing clothing industry wants a damned good shake up.

r1paul

Reaction score
I had a lot of trouble trying to find a decent suit , I too wanted to stick with sundridge , didn`t know that you had to order in advance , doh.:(
I ended up with a fishrite suit , not to bad but not what I would have chosen , and I only got that at a angling show and it was the only one .
It seems that we can only buy what the trade dictates and at the moment a lot of the suits are not up to coping with bad weather .:confused:

preston96

Reaction score
I recommend the Sundridge range of suits....but buy from a top dealer who will take a rogue back.......my mate had one that let water in, the replacement was fine.

Most fishing wear is built down to a price, not up to a standard.........i reckon most seasoned anglers who have also done a bit in the hills could design the ultimate waterproof/thermal suit.........but you would probably need at least £500 to pay for it :eek:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I've had the Korum All Seasons 2 piece suit for just over 12 months now. It's warm, still waterproof and has a removable thermal lining which makes it fine for use in warmer months too.

The only minor niggles are that: the lining to the top is designed to be worn as a seperate jacket and it's knitted cuffs make the top difficult to get off when the lining is in place; the top is slightly too long given the height of the bib and brace which makes for a lot of material around the waist.

Still worth a look though as it's still a good suit.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Have you used the suit without a brolly and during prolonged downpours Sean?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I too wanted to stick with sundridge , didn`t know that you had to order in advance , doh.
This was just at J&K tackle in Bicester, Les. Joe Taylor who runs it normally has a good stock of suits, but he's fined it down to just three styles now and the rest you have to order.

The three were the ESP (maternity smock), the Trekker Arctic (too small), and the Trekker Jackall (tight around neck, very expensive, and worst of all ....................... camo! Yuuuuukkkkk!)

Even Joe doesn't like camo!

He'd have to order any Sundridge and I wouldn't like to waste his time if they're going to be wrong 'uns too.

Dammit, it's not beyond comprehension that you can tell these Chinese companies the dimensions of the average build of European. A person of XL stature does NOT have a 14½" neck and stands 6'3" tall. A pair of Daiwa XXL overtrousers last year had a 5inch deep crotch that only a dwarf could get aroudn his waste. COME ON MANUFACTURERS, get your act together.

ryboyd

Reaction score
Ron thompson series 7

I got a ron thompson series 7 for christmas.
Very versitile suit. incs hat, gloves,jacket with removable fleece, bib and brace and under thermals. £99.99
I bought a set of thermal under suit from Go outdoors which complement the suit very well. £9,99
Along with the Brasher 4 season socks for £10.50.
I also bought a pair of tripletex walking boots from go outdoors. Water proof and breathable. £19.99,

I went on the river in temps down to minus 8 over this winter. never felt the cold once.
I was out today in the rain from 7.30am till 4.30 pm. no worries.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. Everybody wants fat fish, nobody wants fat anglers. Were discriminated against!!!

Walk around a lot of stores these days, Blacks Outdoor, M&S (sometimes), Asda, BHS, and you see all their nice trousers going up to 38. Hello, many chaps like myself that have invested nothing short of a small fortune in good food over the years have a 40 waist and even more. We are the people that have kept British farmers, Cadburys and Walkers Crisps in business, had it not been for us this recession would be a lot deeper than it is!

And what do we get? Discrimination!

It's disgusting.

jcp01

Reaction score
I own an Efgeeco one piece - must be twenty years old or more - and this was certainly made for the average British build, which means that it only just fits me, a skinny six footer.

Once I've wriggled into it, the fit up top is good but when I sit down the shoulders pull the bottom half up so that the ankles are half way up my shin.

I would say that the most important thing to look out for when trying on any of these weather suits is whether or not you can get your todger out without having to wriggle out of the top half because the crotch is cut all wrong, like mine. Taking a leak is a major operation for me.

honslow

Reaction score
Sundridge Igloo. Costs £170 but saving money on winter clothing is a no brainer. I spent years fishing in poor quality clothing but haven't been uncomfortable once this year since buying the Igloo....

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Have you used the suit without a brolly and during prolonged downpours Sean?

Yes Eddie. It is definitely fully waterproof. It doesn't give you wet knees when you kneel down either, which is a common fault with waterproof suits. The sizing is decent too - I'm a fairly slim 6 footer and the Large fits fine.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Sundridge site gives you the range of all their products and a size chart, you can always rely on Sundridge suits, they are longlasting and they are worth every penny
What size did you choose, Graham, and does it fit a portly person such as youself, well?

No offence, but like me you have enjoyed a few good feasts in your time. ;) :)

You're also a little shorter so what's it like for length?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Portly? Portly? I'll have you know I have got the figure of a racing snake, a somewhat mature racing snake I admit and that sticky out bit at the front is relaxed muscle waiting to spring into action, portly indeed hah!

I bought the XL size and the trousers fit poific but the coat is erm! shall we say accommodating but perfectly acceptable if you wear a fleece or thick wooly jumper underneath. A large size certainly wouldn't be big enough in the trouser department but I reckon an 'L' size in the coat might fit a bit more snugly but not leave room for too much underneath.

I'm happy with it but as I said I havn't proven it yet in the pouring rain yet not in the least concerned that it will perform well. The link I provided is where I bought mine and he did say that if I wasn't happy with the fit I could send it back for a different size, no problem.