The Kind of Law We Need?

F

Frank Curtis

With harrassment many anglers are now facing at the waterside from antis and misguided members og the general public perhaps we should press for a statute similar to those in force in most US states.
The following is from the 2002 Florida Statutes:

1) A person may not intentionally, within a publicly or privately owned wildlife management or fish management area or on any state owned water body:
a) Interfere with or attempt to prevent the lawful taking of fish, game or non-game animals by another.
b) attempt to disturb fish, game or non-game animals or attempt to affect their behavior with the intent to prevent their lawful taking by another.
2) Any person who violates subsection (1) is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable in s.775.082 or s.775.083.
I believe that similar laws are on the statutes of most American states.

R

Ron Clay

That is very true Frank, they are.

However there is one thundering great difference between The USA and UK.

The USA is the nearest thing in the world to a true democracy. The UK is far from it!! Further the right to hunt (now I am talking about proper hunting not the unspeakable chasing the uneatable) is entrenched in most USA state constitutions.

This comes from the freedoms the settlers fought for when they beat the British during the war of independance. Involved in this is the freedom to bear arms.

I you go back into English history you will find that hunting and the right to bear arms was a pre-requisite of the English aristocracy and landed gentry. The early Americans wanted to be free of such yolks.

The right to fish lawfully in our country should be entrenched in our constitution. Unfortunately I don't think it is.

We are run by a society of bleeding heated do-gooders on the one side and the unspeakable, to a certain extent, on the other.

D

David Will

'We are run by a society of bleeding heated do-gooders on the one side and the unspeakable, to a certain extent, on the other'.Ron they are all called Solicitors/Barristers , and money is the driving force.

R

Ron Clay

Thats right, Cherie Blair and her horrible stinking mob....:eek:{

B

Birds Nest

"And this week on FM, we'll have a pop at solicitors".... Whine whine wimper wimper...

D

David Will

You are right Birds Nest , the sun is shining fish are jumping all is well with the country :)

L

Laurie Harper

Steady on, chaps. Frank's point is well made. Let's not use it as an excuse for a hang 'em and burn 'em rant. We only make ourselves look stupid. Remember, we don't make ten-year old kids work in coal mines any more, so some things have improved. Those who tried to stop it were, in their time, called bleeding heart do-gooders. And Ron, it's a bit misty-eyed to refer to the USA as the "nearest thing in the world to a true democracy", unless of course, you add the rider, "provided you're white, middle class and comfortably off"...

D

David Will

Laurie no one works in coal mines any more apart from tourist guides!

F

Frank Curtis

I agree with you Ron, the right to fish and hunt i.e. with rifle or shotgun should be in our constitution but as we do not have a written constitution how could such a right ever be enforced.
When the Americans gained their independence they obviously saw the folly of this and therefore produced a written constitution and a bill of rights which set out the fundemental principles of their new society. Of course until 1866 there were major violations such as slavery and up to the late 1960's the suppression by some states of the rights of non-whites but the point I'm trying to make is that every US citizen can see the constitution of their country in writing; something that is denied to us.
And how the hell did we get onto coalmining?

C

Clive Evans

Frank,all you are doing here is highlighting another tiny aspecct of the endless battle between the the 'Haves' and the 'Have-nots', and their right to do what suits them regardless of the consequences.
The American constitution also carries the right to bear arms, which leads eventually to having your children gunned down in the school playground or in McDonalds. But, if you prefer their way, go live there.
I suppose it all balances out somewhere in the world. In America you get mugged, and in Africa you get Mugabe'd. Go figure!!
As for Ron, well you know the old saying; ''You can take the man out of South Africa, but you cant take 'Sarf Efrica' out of the man.
Perhaps the E.U. have got it nearly right, at least you can get your banana straightened!!

R

Ron Clay

An intersting point here is that it was the British cotton mill barons who supported the confederacy during the civil war.

And there have been quite a few gunning downs in Britain over the years.

As regards the basic right to fish and hunt, you will find that much the same in Australia and New Zealand too.

And by the way South African culture has given this country a greal deal and in addition they have taught the English how to play rugby and cricket again.

T

Tony wainwright

Some of these threads are very strange!
Who would believe from the posts on slavery, right to bear arms, Sarf 'Efrica, coal mines, and the one true democracy that this is "essentially" a fishing web site?
Hyde Park Corner would seem to be more appropriate at times!

R

Ron Clay

It is surprising how we do get carried away at times I agree.

However it did start on a very valid discussion point. Having to right to take part in a totally legal activity without interference.

D

David Will

You have more chance of taking part in illegal activity without interference , I give you Cannabis in Lambeth and 'eco gardening' in London on Mayday.Now a lads night out is going to cost even more with fixed penalty notices.

K

Kevan Farmer

Two things. In this country class and faceless , multi-millionaire industrialists rules everything. Prince Andy got off with another speeding offence only the other week. Would we get the same treatment? Huh!

Secondly. Was Bush democratically elected in the US? Nope. He actually came second but was put in place because the real rulers wanted him there.

Kevan

P

Paul Williams

Laurie said.... "we don't make 10year old kids work in the coal mines anymore" nope we don't, we shut the mines and then buy coal from countries that DO send kids down the pit!!!!!!!!
Paul....proud to be a miners son!