Whats a good braid

R

Ron Clay

I'm thinking of buying a couple of spools of braid.

Any tips as to the best make?

W

Wag

Everyone who uses it recommends PowerPro, but where the hell you get it from in the UK God knows! It must be the best kept secret around. If it's such a good product you'd think the suppliers would be mad-keen to make it available.

B

Birds Nest

Ron,

Rik will probably be able to give you more info, but I understand Powerpro is the best... You can get it from Game-on apparetly, http://www.game-online.co.uk/.

I warn you know its probably going to mean breaking into a Fiver.

K

Kevan Farmer

Errrr. I'm ever so slightly miffed. I asked about the different braids available a few months ago when the 'Q&A' page was first started. I was promised my question would be answered in a few weeks... Have I been forgotten Graham?

A very upset, distraught Kevan ;-)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Kevin, apologies for that, but for once it's not all my fault. I sent the question out, along with a whole bunch of others, to someone who decided he didn't want to answer them, and since then I've forgotten to send them to someone else or answer them myself because they ended up in my 'questions sent out' folder and got overlooked.

Your post gives me the opportunity to say to everyone who has sent in questions that I deal with them as fast as I can. I've got loads of them on file and more coming in almost every day and I can't possibly answer them all myself, which means I'm very much depending on the good nature of the anglers I use to help me out.

I've got quite a number returned now and will be compiling another Problem Page feature hopefully this week.

So apologies to everyone who is waiting for an answer and I promise that every one will be answered asap.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Carl,
If you want PowerPro, as Rik said Rob Thompson is the man to speak to.

The address of the shop is

Game On Fishing Tackle Ltd
Lyndhurst road
Beaulieu
Hants
SO42 7YE

Tel: 01590 612608

C

Chris Bishop

If it's for piking, try Fireline in 20 or 30lbs. 20 for lighter stuff like free roaming lives, general deadbaiting etc; 30 for heavier stuff like drifting etc.

You can get 300 yds of the stuff for around ?20 at the moment.

C

Carp Angler

If it's mainline for barbel, then the 20lb PowerPro is ideal.

Rob is no longer at the address or phone number that Rod gave.
He is in the middle of moving office.
He is available on the mail address I gave.
If you mail him with a phone number he'll call you back I'm sure.

If anyone has any trouble with contacting him, then mail or phone me and I'll pass the info on or get some sent to you from my local shop.

20lb in moss green is absolutely stunning for barbel.
It's the most abrasion resistant reel braid on the market bar none.

D

Dave Johnson

that was very 'mellow' big fella.....had a good day at work....:eek:)

F

Frank Curtis

Definitely go for Power Pro if you can get it but it's not cheap and even in the US it's one of the most expensive lines you can buy.
When I was over there in April I used it for both light tackle (12lb) and heavy (45lb). It really is fantastic line with high abrasion resistance and none of that horrible grating through the rod rings that you seem to get with other braids. Unfortunately I was unable to get hold of any to bring back with me. It's so popular over there that the shops sell out of it almost as soon as they get deliveries.

E

Eric Hayes

Ron, I`ve used Fireline and Powerpro, Fireline is ok but in my opinion Powerpro is better. I use it for jerk baits in the heavy braking strains and I`ve had a mess about with it for tip fishing on the river in 20lb BS, I`ve still got to get my head round it, I`m not sure yet if I like it or not for that application due in part to the sensitivity, even small chub nearly succeed in getting the rod of the rest.

Any way I know Ted Carters at Preston have a wide range of braking strains in, I was over there this morning. This is the phone number 01772 253476

It`s about ?16.99 for the lower braking strains and the price rises as the braking strain increases

C

Carp Angler

Chub,
80110x

Prices.....
300 yards is about ?30
150 yards is about ?15