Bait boat - advise needed

D

Damion Richards

I'm looking at buying a bait boat.
Ive got under ?500 to spend.
Ive seen the AT one but the 45 mins operation time puts me off. Ive seen the 'PO' from RCR anyone used this boat or could recomend a good buy?

S

steve southwick

damion i got my boat from brundall angling centre called off loader carp had it about
2 months now used it twice a week with no problems cost 550 check the website baitboat.co.uk

B

Bob Turner

Take a look at the Viper from ARK. Tel 01924 4377978 - ask for Andrew. I got one last year and in my humble opinion it knocks the spots off anything else currently available. They have a web site but at www.viperbaitboats.co.uk.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I was unable to comment before, as although I had used Cakey’s Microcat briefly on a session earlier this year, I wasn’t able to write from a base of user experience.

I’m pleased to say, I now can! I ordered the Microcat some five weeks ago with the added benefit of the sonar. I’ve taken it out on three separate occasions running up to 3 hours at a time. I never fished whilst using the cat as I wanted to field test with no other distractions. Angling Techniques are the first to say they ain’t cheap, but they back it up nicely by also stating that purchasing the very best don’t come cheap too.

When I get a chance I’ll write a full review for Fishing Magic, but for the time being, my advice is definitely get one with the sonar. I’ve never experienced anything like it. Whilst motoring out into the venue, it indicates the depth whilst describing shelf’s, plateaus, bars and the build-up of the bottoms surface. I must admit, I wasn’t quite convinced about being able to tell if you had big, medium or small fish under the boat, so decided to ride on over feeding bubbles and there they are. As you get to know the operating system more and more, you can quite easily tell, the size, the movement, the amount and also sporadic feeding.

The lake I tested it on the most, I knew quite well and where I’d been able to locate fish in the past, all, I’m pleased to say were present. However, the places, I would never imagined there to be fish in a hundred years, were coming into the sonars view. No matter how accurate your marker float work, you cant get anywhere near this boat with sonar. Shelf’s dropping off some 180 yards out, and leaving deep holes of 8 foot by 6 foot wide were uncovering serious hiding places for Mr. Carp. Not only did I not know these holes existed, I could never of reached them by casting any way. Imagine being able to locate a secret holding place some 180 yards out, check out with pin-point accuracy the depth and bottom surface and then slowly lower your hookbait and freebies perfectly on top!

C

Cakey

I was fishing a lake thursday and even with a 1oz lead on I was dropping 18" into silt,dropping it with the baitboat the lead was only going in 2" leaving my bait on top of the silt.(still blanked)

CAKEY

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Oi Oi Cakey, I went back to the lake above this afternoon and droped about 25 freebies in the hole mentioned above. I'm gonna try the impossible tomorrow, with the missus just dropped our latest addition to the family, I'm gonna limit meself to one hour. Take one rod and reel and fish the bottom. The chances of 'avin-it' in one hour are remote, but I'll give it a go and report back here tomorrow night.
No doubt I'll blank like you did, but lets face I'm cleverer than you, coz i'll lie!

G

Gary Knowles

Stuart - congrats on the new addition.

(the nipper not the baitboat!)

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Cheers Barney, appreciated mate!
I went over to see the pie-eater Rik this morning on one of his private hush syndicates. I took Cakey along and the usual banter kicked off in the car-park. Wouldn't be a proper piss-take without the mention of you sir! Someting along the liones of loosing the plot if I remember rightly!
Thanks Again mate...

G

Gary Knowles

no probs Stu...

Although I hope your not insinuating I'd consider 'stirring things up' just for a piss take !!!!!!!! :eek:)

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Hey, come on, that’s so not what I'm saying. Like so many of the forum members, I know only too well how sincere, generous, understanding and above all shy you are, I would never insinuate that you’re a stirrer Barney! Never! Don’t you agree guys and girls?