dead carp & net sterilisation

S

stu black

Hi folks,

My landing net was used today to fish 2 dead carp out of a lake. I dont know if it was disease that caused there deaths or not but i need to sterilise my net tonight/ 1st thing am. Whats the best/ most effective way to do it please?

Cheers all!
Stu

C

Carp Angler

There's only two ways that I'm aware of.

The first, is you need to dry your net out TOTALLY, this will kill any water bourne virii.
The second way is to irradiate your net with ultra-violet light.

That's if they died of any disease and it was still apparent.

S

stu black

Cheers chap. I'll use an old one for a couple of weeks then. is it worth dipping in a dettol solution or something as well?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Same advice as Carp Angler and this goes for all fish species. Leave your net to dry. Once completelty dry, all attached desease should die.

S

stu black

i ended up pouring boiling water over it in the bath and a tcp mixture and i'll dry it for a week.....it'll probably fall apart after all that!

Cheers both!

D

Dave Slater

Ark-klens, available from koi dealers, is the most powerful disinfectant I know of for nets. It isn't cheap but it is very good.

A

andrew jackson

I have always placed my sacks, mats, slings and net in the bath. I then fill the bath and give it a good dose of sterilizing solution, the stuff they use for babies bottles. After a good long soak I then rince them with cold water very thouroghly. They are then dryed completely, preferably in the sun.