Hydrolastic

D

Drew McDonald

I'm wondering if anybody out there has ever used this new elastic that the mag's are raving about ( well one mag in particular) I'm having great difficulty mastering the pole at the best of times, for every fish I land I have managed to bump 4 or 5 off ( could bee more) now I know thats not down to the pole and I have heard from others who have watched me that the elastic is not at fault so I guess that only leaves me, I'm wondering if this new invention will help me hold on to my fish, as it only comes in two colours I figure if I'm too light with one the other must be right, can anyone give me any tips on the elastic I should be using to catch fish in the 5 to 10 pound bracket? thanks

C

Carp Angler

I don't know anyone rich enough to pay out that much for pole elastic.

Are you bumping off fish instantly or are they coming adrift later?

I'd suggest it's to do with the elastic set up and tension or with the strike and probably wont be solved by spending ?30 on an elastic.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Drew,
I would recommend plenty of lubricant and a good roller......errr yep I am talking about fishing, :eek:) Also as Rik said the tension of the elastic could be the problem. The elastic should slowly creep back in to the pole after streching it not snap back in, and the roller will smooth out the shipping process. Also check the hook size for elastic grade small hooks will be pulled out by too high an elastic grade. For fish in the 5 - 10lb bracket I would use a size 8 or 12 in snag free water or step up to 14 -16 in snagy waters. But lubricating the elastic at the start with plenty of it and again after about 3 hours is a must, the difference this makes is very noticable, I use a product called 'ARMORALL' which you can get from Halfords, it's a car interior and exterior spray in a 300ml pump spray bottle for vinyl upholstery, rubber and plastics. It does the same as the lubes in the tackle shop but quicker and a lot cheeper.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Sorry meant to say with elastics in these ranges use hook from a size 14 -10.

D

Drew McDonald

Thanks guy's, just been to get the lubricant,KY gel I'm told is good (only joking) I think I have probably got the tension to tight and using the wrong hook size to boot wont be helping, I'm new to pole fishing and I'm making a right pigs ear of it, guess I'll just have to keep trying, thanks again

L

Laurie Harper

Am most disappointed. I hoped from the title of this thread that I might find a discussion about the pro's and cons of the ill-fated suspension system on British Leyland cars from the 1970's.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
That would be a sad discussion! Mind you, I knew a bloke once who had a Morris Ital nicked! What kind of loony would nick one of those?