Things to look forward to

R

Ron Clay

As I start to count down to my retirement, I have started to take stock of my situation and have decided to be more positive about the rest of my life. I am now looking forward to:

1: Growing old gracefully

2: Living next to a river and being able to go fishing without getting nehind the wheel of a blinking car.

3: Catching wild indigenous species in their natural environment.

4: Maintaining decent health.

5: To do what I want to do without being interferred with by criminals, muggers, antis and odd people.

The last one is the hardest to attain.

What are you looking forward to?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Same as you Ron, on a personal level, and for British angling as a whole I'd like to see it finally settling under one, government recognised body, much the same as Eddie so eloquently describes in another thread.

R

Ron Clay

Eddie, I live in Rotherham. The River Don, about 3 miles to the better bits, is producing barbel to 8lbs plus and chub to 4 lbs plus. About 5 miles away the Rother is starting to throw up barbel to over 6 and chub of 5lbs plus.

The River Idle is excellent for 5 lbs chub and big roach. There are barbel up to double figures in the upper reaches.

The Tidal Trent - 32 miles away is now one of Englands premier barbel rivers and there are some enormous chub to be caught. Then a little further afield we have the Yorks rivers: Swale, Ure, Wharfe & Nidd, all with good barbel and very big chub in them.

Am I lucky or what?

E

EC

Eloquent! Can't wait to tell my mates that someone used that word in the same sentence as my name! Thanks Graham.

Ron 3 miles away is living in the river as far as I am concerned. (45 miles R.Dane, 60 odd to Severn for me) and no I never tire of moaning about it!

Can't argue with you though Ron except to say steel toe caps could make your 5th point a little more bearable.

My big hope, in angling terms, is that like Graham says, sooner or later I would hope that all clubs, groups, and individual anglers will realise the massive benefits of a total amalgamation under one democratically run 'union of anglers' (Copyright that name for me Graham).

Then finally the sport will have the finance and clout to represent and protect itself properly, and carry itself forward in a truly professional manner.

But without sounding defeatist I have more chance of Davie Moyes asking me to play number nine for Everton tomorrow. Now hang on whilst I answer the phone.

C

Carp Angler

5: To do what I want to do without being interferred with by criminals, muggers, antis and odd people.

I'm desperately trying NOT to conjure up a picture of Ron being interferred with by an 'odd person'........

B

Birds Nest

3 Comments.

1. Nice Post Ron, enjoy your retirement mate, thats what its for.
2. So am I now Rik.
3. Eddie, come on, I hear you can buy a ticket and enter a raffle for the No 9 shirt. You'll be fine this season mate, I see nothing wrong at all in putting all your hope in a 16 year old porky lad up front ;-)

All in jest,

BN.

R

Ron Clay

And I've met a few odd people amongst the ranks of carp anglers ;o[

R

Ron Clay

What I am also looking forward to is the day when we don't need cars to get about.

Ideally I would want a transporter room in my lounge programmed to beam me to all the best swims in the country at my whim.

Then I could say on my communicator - "Beam me back Scotty and have a cold beer waiting".

How wonderful ..:eek:)

B

Brian Lewis

Your list seems to be getting longer, Ron. Maybe you should rewind and start again! :0)

Can't disagree with most of what you're looking forward to but not "growing old gracefully". I want to be a Peter Pan as long as possible if only 'cos it keeps the kids amused! I'm 53 now and still daft as a brush!

Personally, at the moment I'm looking no further forward than to tonight when I get out of this bloody office and start a week's holiday!! We're off for some R&R to Ribby Hall, not far from Lytham St Annes. Expect a lot of you Northern guys know it.

D

Dave Barringham

Don't spend your working life looking forward to retirement. I am lucky in that my girlfriend understands that I am a fishing nut. A few years ago, she was looking for a house to buy, so I suggested she choose one within two miles of my favourite river, the Trent. I was quick to point out that the advantage of this was that I would have less time and expense travelling, and so more time to spend with her (and she bought it!). In my fortunate position, I am within easy striking distance of the Trent (upper and middle reaches), the Derbyshire Derwent, the Soar, the Erewash, the Dove (I think Tutbury is the closest part) the Trent and Mersey canal, the Nottingham canal, the Erewash canal, Attenborough gravel pits, and numerous other stillwaters. I have just finished studying, and the idea is that now I am working, it will take me up to my retirement before I've tried all these venues. Get it sorted early!

I

Ian Whittaker

Good point Dave, stuff in as much fishing as you can now ,then the retirement factor will be a huge bonus.

F

Fred Bonney

As i've stated previously on this site, I took the opportunity to retire last year at the age of 52,no kids allowed me to do this,plus some planning to get us a pension to live on.
After travelling to London via rail for 35 years and being out of the house in excess of 12 hours a day,I can tell you the last 18 months have been pure bliss.
The whole of the tail end of the last river season was spent fishing Adams Mill,an opportunity I wouldn't have had and I am glad I didn't miss,not having a face that fits for the new consortium(?)
I would say to you guys and gals out there,take every opportunity you can get,to provide enough funds to get away from the day to day hassles of working,especially if it's for some other bugger to get rich,and retire as soon as you can after 50.

P

Paul Williams

Problem is though that all us plebs will probably have to work till we fall over now that the "money people" have taken our pension funds and blown them......unless of course you are a civil servant/councilworker and then even if you fail in your job your pensions are safe.......coz we, the people you fail have to pay for them GGRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yep i'm bitter!........makes you feel like packing in work anyway!

F

Fred Bonney

Paul,mark my words it will get better,these "money people" are still making their profits, they will want more,so give it a little while and things will start again.
Having said that,I think the government will put up the retirement age to 70 before long anyway,so even more reason to get yourself funded.

S

simon hall

Yep Fred is right you need to get yourself funded eg pension while you are as young as possible or you can try what I am gonna be doing when I retire. Try to save enough money to get a nice pad with a lake or enough land to have one built then hire it out for fishing. Pay no tax and you have the best of both worlds. Fishing every day free, you don't have to pay any travel expenses to get to the lake and you are earning from the other anglers at the same time. Cushty.