ground bait

D

Drew McDonald

Can anyone tell me why certain fisheries wont let you use groundbait on their waters, as I live in yorkshire I tend to fish that area a lot,most of the waters I have seen in the area have bans on groundbait, hemp, and anything else that may help the angler catch fish, is there any special reason for the bans, one theory I heard was that the groundbait goes sour in the water.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Mostly it is due to the amount that gets thrown in. Some fishery owners believe it lowers the water quality.

Check the bans carefully though because some allow groundbait introduced by feeder, but not by hand.

S

simon hall

We had the same thing at my local lake. Last year they allowed floating baits and everyone started doing the beachcaster method with chum mixer and the amount that was getting catapulted out was rediculous. Floating baits were then banned. I think with ground bait it can discolour the water and also accelerate weed growth when loads of bait is chucked in. I think most anglers know how much to put in but the odd minority pull up with sack fulls just for a afternoon session.

D

David Will

A lot of reservoirs or emergency water supply reservoirs will not allow groundbait.