Marker Rod

R

Robert Woods

I was thinking of getting either a Chub Storm 3lbtc or a Shimano Catana 3lbtc rod to use as a marker rod.Would these do or has anyone got other ideas.I don't want to go to purposely made ones...too expensive for what they are!!!

C

Chub Chaser

I think they would be just fine mate!
i think the Marker Rod market is one big rip off...whats the difference????? NONE!!!
Mark out 1ft divisions on the rod with Tipex.Job done. you could use it as a third if rules allowed!

C

Chris Betts

I use a spod rod for marker work. In fact I use my original Trevs Mark 1 spod rod. Its just the job, soft tip and plenty of backbone. I just put some tape around the blank in front of the handle, some more 6 inches up the blank, and some more 1 foot from the first peice. Job done. Then all you have to do is clip up when you find a spot, exchange the float for a spod and off you go. Although I do now carry the Trevs mark 2 spod rod. Slightly beefier for spodding with. I would recommend the mark 1 as a marker rod any day.

R

Rob Stubbs

I just use old fishing rods. A 2 1/4 cheapy for close work, loaded with braid. A 3 1/4 for long range marker work.

Rob.

D

David Will

Try Blakes Tackle 01753 624333 , Mark there does a rod that will do all you want for ?29.00.

R

Rob Stubbs

What you need to remember is that your marker rod must be able to reach the distance you are fishing to so bear that in mind when buying one especially for the job. Also would you fish with cheap rods ? If yes then fine go for similar but if not consider spending money on a rod that will complement your fishing rods. Another suggestion is try using your fishing rods as a marker - if it works fine then just buy another identical rod. As someone else mentioned you can then use as an additional fishing rod if the need arises.

Rob.

C

Carp Angler

I agree.
Old (or new) fishing rods make ideal marker rods.
Specific marker rods have very stiff tips and I've found that with braid, this isn't very good for feeling the bottom (ooooo-eeerrr)
They tend to bounce the lead too far and a much softer tip allows you to feel it more.
(does that make sense????)

D

David Will

Bass rods are ideal for marker rods. Stiff butt soft tip.But another thing I have noticed people do is use a big marker float such as an MCF or Solar with a two ounce lead. This causes the same problem ie the whole lot tends to lift off the bottom at the slightest pull. Heavy lead small float is best.After all the float is only to let you know the depth and point out the spot you have found. The float reduces the distance you can cast and removes some of the sensitivity which is why using a lead only initially then using a float once an approximate area has been found.Less disturbance as well but this along with spodding seems to go by the board on some lakes.Important that the marking up, spodding and mallet weilding is done wearing realtree gear though :)

R

Robert Woods

Thanks for the feedback...I have been using a 2.5tc Harrison Balista but it is too soft for any distance.Trev's actually suggested the Chubb rod.
Dave...you are right,I should use a heavier lead as float gets dragged back.Using a marker/feature rod is new to me now that I'm fishing "harder" waters with weed,bars etc.Using braid helps...I'm learning!!!.