Any South Africans on this forum

• Thread starter Gerhard van der Westhuizen
  • Start date
G

Gerhard van der Westhuizen

Hi

I would just like to know if there is any South African people on this forum. I would like to swop info on locations tackle dealers etc.

thanks

R

Rob Stubbs

I have come across some on other forums, but there are people here who have fished over there, including myeslf a couple of times. So whereabouts in SA are you ?

Rob.

G

Gerhard van der Westhuizen

I'm in the pretoria area, mostly do fishing in Hartebeespoort, bonnacord, roodeplaat, rietvlei and loskop dams. Where have you tried in SA and what did you think of my country, and where are you from (i thinks thats all the questions for now :)

R

Rob Stubbs

Gerhard,
I have fished Bloemhoff, last year and I fished near Swartruggens for a couple of weeks this year. I liked both places although the former had tons of small carp although the catfish (barbel) were a bit bigger - to 35lb. At the venue I fished this year the carp were fewer but bigger although still not quite as big as hoped for (low 20's). I know the venue has since done fish to low 40's and hopefully there are bigger, so far uncaught, fish in there. I fished with a guide over there (Bruce Johnson of Eagle fishing safari's) and he ran an excellent camp and looked after us well.

I do love the country and there is a massive untapped potential for the fishing - not just for carp. I will almost certainly be back there next year but where I go depends on what the fishing is like on the new venues being fished at the moment. Oh and I'm from Hertfordshire in England, about 30 miles north of London (a damn sight colder than over there :D ).

Rob.

R

Ron Clay

And don't forget me. Lived for 27 years in SA. My son, Sean was born in Pretoria.

I have caught virtually all there is to catch in that country and a bit beyond. Lovely place. I just might decide to retire back there.