no bites.loads of fish

C

chris scott

i went carp fishing on a pond today for the first time. there was plenty of fish to be seen on the surface, but they just passed my bait all the time. i was using floating bread or dog biscuit on a hair rig, even tried luncheon meat on the bottom using a lead, but still no bites from anything. i started early at 5:30am and just got back 13:30. what do i need to do ?

C

Cakey

They are probably feeding ...........................................................................................NOW.

A

Anthony Coser

Theyve either still got a bit of spawning left in them or they get a lot of angler pressure during the day which has the affect of wising them up with regards surface baits.It is a similar situation on a water local to me,tail walking,backs out of the water etc,i keep managing to winkle one out every week when everyone else is blanking or packing up come 12.00 but when there not having it,its tough going.

C

chris scott

your right cakey....i went down to look after dinner 2night at 19:45 and sure enough they took the bread i threw in and also a couple of boilies too ! next time i go it will be in the evening. anthony there was no angler pressure 2day 4sure...i was the only 1 there !

C

Cakey

I would rather be there late evening than early morning if trying to take them off the top.

CAKEY

C

Carp Angler

Unless there's a bit of pressure on the lake during the day and then I'd rather try early morning.
Another alternative is to do what nobody else does, surface fish at night.
Providing you've got a reasonably clear sky, then your bait is just a silhouette, as it is during the day.

C

chris scott

night fishing is not allowed.. the place says close at dusk ! whenever that is

C

Cakey

One of my tickets says that and in brackets "when the street lights come on"which is handy because its miles from the nearest road!