What coat ?

P

Philip Inzani

After shelling out for a so called "waterproof" jacket from a certain manufacturer and finding it had the waterproof qualities of a sieve I am in the market for a new coat.
Essentials are that it really is 100% waterproof, breathable, does not need reproofing, can be bunged in the washing machine without ruining, has a good/big hood, and tough enough to withstand thorns/brambles.

I was thinking of something Gortex but have heard some bad stories recently about it losing its waterproofness in the washing machine?

Can anyone recommend something ?

A

Alan Cooper

I bought a Proline French Army jacket (new) from Transworld army surplus. It is REALLY totally waterproof (I have sat in the rain)and breathable. It is supposed to be better than Goretex. It has a built in hood with proper peak to keep the rain out of your eyes. It is also lightweight. You will also need a good fleece to go with it for winter. I have to say that I think it a really good but - about ?75.

M

Malcolm Bason

Hi Phillip. A couple of days ago I purchased a coat from a shop local to me. It is made by 2Champion" Not a 'name' and certainly not a recognised 'fishing name'! However, it seems very well made, is interractive, in that it has a detatchable 'fleece' which is simply zipped in, each can be worn seperately and together - is extremely warm! The outer coat has 4 zipped storm proof pockets, a hidden hood, is made of breathable material, yet coated in teflon and so is guaranteed completely waterproof. ALL FOR ?50!!!! I have seen 'Champion' stocked at a few places so should be readily available from other stockists. The shop I got mine from is called "The Hard Wear Shop" it stocks all camping, hiking goods/clothing, etc. Hope this helps?

S

STUART JOHNSON

Malcom. Its sounds like a great coat. Can you supply me with the phone number of the shop or the manufacturer so I can find a stockest in the North West. Many thanks.

M

Malcolm Bason

Hi Stuart.

The is: "The Hard-Wear Shop"
at: High Street Daventry
Daventry
Northamptonshire NN11 4HU

Tel: 01327 878765

I have looked for links on the net but could only find ones in the US. So this is the best I can do. Hope this helps?

S

STUART JOHNSON

Malcom. Many thanks will give them a call next week.

P

Philip Inzani

Malcom, thanks for the info, it worth checking out. The only slight conceren I have is that the coat I already have was teflon coated and that now lets rain stright through. The reason I mentioned Gortex or similar was because as I understand it, its a separate layer in between an inner and outer and so there is nothing to peel, rub or wash away after some hard use.
Mind you I cannot find a Gortex coat for 50 quid so it sounds like you have made a good deal. Thanks again for the info.

M

Mike Fidler

Philip, I recently purchased the Sundrige Nimbus Jacket and trousers. Very comfortable and warm. Don't know if it's fully water proof yet, but they are very light and unrestricting, perfect for a mobile angler. You also get an underwear combination with the package.

P

Paul Williams

Philip, it really does depend how much you want to spend, the Sundrigde kit that mike is talking about is also something i am looking at......but if money where no object i would not hesitate in buying a top quality Goretex jacket, i have in the past used them and also a gortex bivvy bag they are simply supberb, the rest are imho copies, some better than others, the only thing i have heard against goretex ( and other breathables) is that they can lose their breathability if the micro pores become clogged with dirt......i'd better stick to cheaper gear!!!!!!

P

Philip Inzani

Thanks for all the helpful hints. I must say that I did think like Paul, that Gortex was basically "it" and I was set on getting one but then a mate told me he has a Goretex coat, he put it in the Washing machine and now water goes right through it and that has dented my belive a bit. I am not sure if this was just a one off...anyone else seen this ?
Its the sales at the moment over here and I am trying to resist the temptation of parting with my cash before I am sure!

Thanks again.

P

Paul Williams

Philip, i have no doubts that a washing machine could destroy gortex, it is after all only a membrane, i would only recommend sponging down if you go that way.

S

Sally Hotchkin

It's not the physical aspect of the washing machine that destroys Gore-tex, but the chemical aspect. It is paramount that you wash a rinse through your washing machine first before putting it through else the detergent will attack it and bond to the waterproof properties.

If you want more information on this you could look at our sister site OUTDOORSmagic and check out how to care for your waterproof jacket. They also have a range of jackets that have been tested, but they are all quite serious, expensive jackets and are probably a little overengineered for what you want really.

P

Paul Williams

Hi Sally, good point, do you find that dirt can indeed block the pores of Gortex and reduce it's breathability? or is that mentioned on OUTDOORSmagic? would you like one testing by a mucky angler?? ( tongue firmly in cheek!!)

S

Sally Hotchkin

Well Paul, I don't profess to be a massive expert on the subject myself, but I know that there are a couple of problems with 'breatheable' theory. Firstly, when it is soaking wet there's no way anything is beatheable anymore as the pores get blocked. Secondly, you'll never stop a certain amount of condensation from the inside, so it feels damp even if it's good and breatheable. I guess these macs are just better than the traditional plastic ones. But as anglers you'll have to make a decision as to whether it's better to be watertight in a torrential shower, or breatheable when you're sitting there most of the day.

Test stuff? We all wish for that priviledge Paul. Ho hum. Maybe we'll have to become journalists.

P

Paul Williams

Thanks for your comments Sally, i have used Gortex in the past and agree nothing is perfect but it is a good material that makes a difference.
Personally i think more anglers would use it if they were targetted, a lot of anglers are now walking fair distances during their outings and they realise the plus factors of a layered system topped by a decent waterproof/breathable.