A call for help!!

B

Birds Nest

Folks,

I've just got back into fishing after a few years away. I've kiked things of with some pike from various waters around Derby... Nothing massive 11lb biggest.. But what i'm really after is some Barbel after watching tight lines last night !! that thing went off like a rocket !! Can one of you kind folks offer an advice on baits tackle location etc... Or a decent book to get my mits on.. thanks guys..

C

Carp Angler

Can't give you any specifics for your area but general tactics to foloow are....

When the water level is low and clear use small baits such as hemp, pellet and caster in a blockend feeder with caster on the hook.
When the levels are up and coloured use stinky meat baits on a straight lead.

Make sure you use strong and sensible strength tackle.
Losing barbel on 4lb line and lightweight hooks is not clever.

Some more experienced people will probably give you better and more technical advice to any specific questions you have.

S

Steve Boulton

If possible get hold of a Derby Railway A.C. season ticket or a Burslem Issac Walton season ticket for the River Dove - not too far from your area for some brilliant Barbel fishing. Don't make the mistake of fishing light lines and small hooks as Dove Barbel will soon sort you out. Flavoured meat is as good a bait as any and move around 15 - 20 minutes in each swim should give you some excellent sport. A good book easily available from any bookshop is Quest for Barbel by Miles & West which is not only a very enjoyable read but will tell you everything you need to know about Barbel fishing and more.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
To be a bit more specific on the tackle, minimum 1.25lb tc rod, recommend 8lb line for first few fish, 10lb in snaggy swims, strong hook patterns. Oh, and when you get fishing for them don't ever let go of your rod unless you have a baitrunner engaged, cos you will lose it!

P

Paul Williams

Birds nest, the lads have given sound advice the only thing i want to add is keep it simple, also if you get warm rain that colours the river get out there, they love it!

B

Birds Nest

Thats Fantastic guys thanks alot !! I'll let you know how I get on..

M

michael jepson

Birdie, try the Derwent,at Bass Park in Derby centre(Railway Archs).it's day ticket,also have a look or enquire about barbelling at Belpher.Good read- The Complete Barbel Angler -Roger Miller. Better Barbel Fishing(Angling Times,Advertised in A.T}.A excellent and very enlightening Video.