Which Tyres

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Pump, pump, pump, pump it up...

Less jiggling about over rough ground due to the suspension effect afforded by inflatable tyres.

Unless you are going to use it here:
sharp-rocks.jpg

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I have a trolley with solid tyres - most of the time I find these ok but in heavy mud the mud can stick to the wheels and they become clogged - in winter I carry a small stick and a washing up liquid bottle of warm water (you need to get one of the old fashioned style washing up liquid bottle - the ones Blue Peter used to make space ships with).
You can use the stick to poke the mud out of the wheels and then spray the tyres with the warm water from the washing up liquid bottle to get them clean before putting the trolley back in the car.
Also in a dry spell on rutted ground the solid tyres do tend to "bump" my tackle bag

What type do you have Matt and what are your experiences?

Reaction score
I have had both. My previous trolley had solid tyres which were fine. However, I let my dad keep it after he borrowed it, which is a shame because my box fitted on it perfectly. My current trolley has pump ups, which are also fine, but my box doesn't fit as well.

I am thinking about getting a barrow (not a massive one).

I notice some have two wheels and some have one.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Matt
The 2 wheeled versions are easier to steer I believe, due to the interspacing of the temporal weight distribution.
1 wheeled version are based on the wheel-barrow and you know how these can take some steering when carrying a heavy load. The first barrow where just wheel-barrows carp anglers used to carry their gear - or so I've been told.
I'd have thought a 3 wheeled version, similar to the 3 wheeled pushchairs trendy mums have would be a good design - with the front wheel on some sort of pivot to aid steering.
Matt have you thought of getting your old trolley back from your dad and fitting the pump wheels on it from your other trolley and the solid wheels on to the old one you give back to your dad?
This should not prove to difficult for an engineer like you - ask Ron if you are having problems

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Single wheel trollies are good for uneven ground whereas two wheel versions are more stable on flattish ground. Some wheelbarrow trollies don't carry a lot of kit and there are some that can't even take a decent size box so beware of buying unseen. Just one review but there are others

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I bought a Boss trolley nearly 20 years ago; it's still going strong and has pneumatic types but the first thing I did was fit kevlar inserts inside the tyres to protect against puncture - they work all right because I've never had a puncture. The main puncture hazard was blackthorn spikes after hedge cutting.

preston96

Reaction score
Wheelbarrow frame with "container" removed and those large plastic bread trays bolted on in place!!..............best ever!! :)

Tho at your age Corky....i carried the lot!! :wh

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I bought a Boss trolley nearly 20 years ago; it's still going strong and has pneumatic types but the first thing I did was fit kevlar inserts inside the tyres to protect against puncture - they work all right because I've never had a puncture. The main puncture hazard was blackthorn spikes after hedge cutting.

Good thinking - punctures was one of my big worries with pupm up tyres

Morespiders

Reaction score
Wheelbarrow frame with "container" removed and those large plastic bread trays bolted on in place!!..............best ever!! :)

Tho at your age Corky....i carried the lot!! :wh

Great Paul, mine come out of a skip, then fitted out with a bread tray, only drawback, they dont fold down, but hey, who cares, had lots of jealous looks:D

Corker, can just see you pushing your barrow back up that hill where you took me on the Ribble, itd, see you off boy, especially with all the sh ite you take:D