Spodding

S

Steve Ayscough

I am thinking of buying a spod rod and would like a bit of advice.
Can anyone recomend a rod that is up to the job and secondly would I be better off using say 30lb BS braid as a main line or nylon with as shock leader ?

R

Rob Stubbs

The fox spod rods are meant to be pretty good, but mine is a Bruce Ashby one (I think). I would use line plus leader irrespective of whether you use mono or braid. I only ever use mono but I know a lot of people prefer braid. My philosophy is that as long as it does all that I need it to then I'll stick with mono (I use 10lb, with 30lb leader).

Rob.

C

Chris Betts

I use the Trevs of Wilmslow Spod rod. It has never let me down and is not a bad price. I never user braid on the spod rod. Its a case of 10lb Diawa Sensor and a Amnesia Shock leader double the length of the rod in length. This set up works very well.

I do use braid but only on mt marker rod. Here it is a big advantage.

J

Jon Moores

I'd suggest mono instead of braid. I've found clipping up with a spod and braid can be a bit of a problem.

C

Carp Angler

I'd suggest the complete opposite.

I've found when clipping up and hitting long range marks, that mono stretches and dependant on how hard the cast is, depends on how much the mono stetches and how far away from your marker your spod is every cast.
Braid doesn't stretch and so the cast is spot on every time.

20lb PowerPro braid and 50lb Co-polymer shockleader.

The rod is the Giant spod rod.
Absolutely no good for 12oz spods, but superb and very accurate for 4 to 8oz ones cast as far as I want to.