Flies for the test

R

Richard Baker

Dear All,

am fishing the Test near Winchester in mid september. Have never fished it before. Does anyone have any classic chalk stream patterns they'd recomend for this sort of fishing. I understand some of the fishingmagic members fished for grayling on this stretch last winter. Any advice from those lads would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Rich

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The story about that trip can be read here: <a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=1&UAN=1571>'Grayling from the Test'</A>.

R

Richard Drayson

Hi Richard,

For some good local advice on flies try phoning either The Rod Box in Winchester on 01962 883600 or Orvis in Stockbridge 01264 810017.

Best of luck and I hope you have an enjoyable day.

C

Carp Angler

The majority of the Test is upstream, dry fly only and nothing bigger than a 12.
When I used to fish it, it was all size 16 and 18's and anything black.
2 or 3lb flouro tippets as well.

It's low, clear and very weedy at the moment and I don't anticipate that changing in the next fortnight.

C

Carp Angler

Oh I forgot,
Tightlines in Totton (02380 863068) has a much, much greater selection of flies and material than the Rod Box.

R

Richard Baker

Thanks alot for all the advice will let you know how I get on.

Rich.

R

Richard Baker

Tried the flies suggested by Carp angler and did quite well. Had four grayling, the biggest about a pound. Two on the dry and two on nymphs, all fished upstream. Superb fishing, clearest water I've ever fished in. The fish spooked if you so much as false casted above them. Will do a proper write up soon.

CHeers

Rich