Tying a hair rig

S

Shrek

Does anyone have any links to sites or diagrams of how to tie a hair rig on a spade end hook

Thanks in anticipation

Adrian

D

Dave Johnson

the rigs page shows the knotless knot somewhere Adrian, the definitive hair knot for self tying anglers.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Click on the Rig's Page box on the left. You tie a spade exactly the same as you would an eyed hook, but give it a dab of superglue for extra security.

W

Wag

I use a Matchman type hooktier to tie on spade ends as usual, but leave a few inches of line to use as a hair instead of trimming off the end close to the knot.
It's a bit fiddly tying a loop on the hair length, but it works OK for me.

S

Shrek

Thanks guys, it's pretty darn obvious really I suppose.

I'll give that a go but must remember not to wipe my eyes after using superglue........................ !!!!!

T

Tony wainwright

I use the same method as Carl but if you leave a long enough loop when you loop around the top bar, you can then tighten off and leave yourself a ready made hair instead of the fiddly bit Carl refers to. You MUST use a dab of glue to ensure that the knot is secure.

W

Wag

Tony, I forgot to mention I've got big hands and fingers like a pound of pork sausages, hence my trouble with the "fiddly bit", I suspect we both do exactly the same thing!