Now let's ban fishing

Colin Brett

Reaction score
From the Letters page of the Cambridge News 4th September 2002.

Now let's ban fishing!!

from Teresa Thom

I had the considerable displeasure of witnessing an act of great cruelty on a visit to a popular fishing spot near your offices on Saturday.

A group of people were engaged in a fishing match.

I could not believe that this hideous and grotesquely cruel practise is still permitted under British law.

Now that we are banning hunting with dogsin this country I am sure that we must ban this evil practise as soon as possible.

Please tell your readers that if they ever see this evil practise they are to approach the fishermen and women and tell them to stop.

I shall be returning to your area at the end of the month and looking for people who will support a ban on fishing.

James Street,
London W1

Enough said??????????????????????

Colin

D

David Will

Perhaps someone articulate from the SAA can write to Ms Thom with a copy to the relevant local paper ?

A

Anthony Coser

Just had a look at the article,obviously a very ignorant woman who doesnt know shi* from clay.
This ridiculous notion that some people have that compares fox hunting to fishing is beyond me.
The Countryside Alliance is a fast sinking ship,keep well away from it to stop fishing being dragged down with it.

B

Brian Lewis

"Please tell your readers that if they ever see this evil practise they are to approach the fishermen and women and tell them to stop."

If approached by these people I suggest we respond in a calm and rational manner by asking them to rearrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying:-

"Off P**s!!"

I

Ian Whittaker

"Off P**s please!!" would be more appropriate , wheres your manners, Brian?

C

Chris Betts

I have seen this post on four other threads, there is some intersting responses. It has been pointed out that the same sort of letter appeared in other regional newspapers by the same woman. All of them telling of her experiences on the Saturday. She gets around a bit. That is if she really exists. I just wonder how many local papers received the same letter but did not publish.

In this age of instant written communication this letetr could have been mailed to lots of people around the country, asking them to send it to there local papers. This could easily be an openning shot to gain public awareness by the antis, or just as easily be the CA attempting to rally angling support. Now isn't there a march going on in London soon, organised by the CA. Thats a strange coincidence. After all they say they are going to get millions of supporters. What better way than to get loads of anglers in the ranks. After all the papers are starting to publish anti angling letters, better get on the band wagon. Or am I being paranoid?

A

Anthony Coser

I gave her a peace of my mind on the Cambridge News message board anyway.
I feel so much better

V

vince battams

anthony has the cambridge news got a website to send letters for publication.

S

Scott Rotchell

Whoever says fishing should be banned should be banned themselves from civilisation, fishing is the only sport with meaning: football, kick ball in net, golf hit ball in hole, fishing, catch massive carp and get a real buzz!

joe mccarthy

Reaction score
Having been an angler of sorts since the thirties,have met, heard of the so-called antis,in my humble opinion,its just chips on the shoulder.the more one takes notice of such people,the more inflated their egos.in other words,totally ignore them,thats been my philosophy,I am contented.S-d em,in other words.

V

vince battams

post me email addresses of the papers in which the letter from this deranged woman has appeared.

joe mccarthy

Reaction score
re vince battams request.being a new boy,am not sure how to set out the details,other than to say the subject is covered in Threads,item 7,Teresa Tom etc.

B

Brett Chilvers

Fishing to some of my friends has often been related to as being boring ,sad and even more sad for going. What does that say about a woman or other people like her for wanting to ban such exitement?