BIG Carp! What bait?

S

Scott Rotchell

I have been fishing now for about 5 years and i am only 13, when i say BIG Carp i don't mean baby 15 pounders i mean 30-40-50 pounds, get my drift. I useually try hair rigging boiley or sweetcorn, do you have any other suggestions for me?? I would be imensly greatful for your ideas, thanks

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Relax Scott, don't be too eager to beat your personal best all the time and learn to enjoy what you catch. Get more experience under your belt and get good at what you do for the moment. I've seen too many anglers chase the ace and end up feeling frustrated that they got the big fish to early in their fishing career only to be left chasing the impossible.
If the point of you stating that you’ve been fishing for five years is to prove your experience, then I can only derive naivety from your posting as the very notion that just adjusting your bait will catch bigger fish is ludicrous. Many 40’s and 50’s have been caught on the simplest of baits such as bread and sweet corn. Try to focus on locating where the bigger fish haul up and start following their feeding habits. In fact, you might want to try visiting your regular venue without a rod and reel a few times to garner natural environment info. Only the less experienced will be to eager to put their rods out first, which are you?

A

andrew jackson

Good advice from Stuart, Scott. But if you are still hell bent upon bagging a biggy the first thing to do, is to make sure you are fishing a lake that contains them. I know that sounds like I am stating the obvious, but it is all to easy to end up chasing ghosts. Find a prolific big fish water, the odds of you catching a 20+ will be pretty limited if the water you choose ony holds a couple of big fish. Find a bait you are confident with and stick to it. Concentrate on locating fish and potential feeding spots. There are no super baits or wonder rigs. Finding fish, applying your bait correctly and presenting your hookbait in an unobtrusive manner, catches fish. Effort = results, and remember "sod it that will do"! is the battle cry of a blanker. ;o)

M

Malcolm Bason

Good advice there chaps - and the best certainly has to be the last part of Andy's post:

"sod it that will do, is the battle cry of a blanker"

.....and something we can all relate to at times if we are honest! I know I can!

C

Carp Angler

All good stuff chaps.

Unfortunately, these type of questions are hitting my inbox on a daily basis.
Please make me an instant big fish superstar.

It aint there, it aint happening.

As Andy said,
effort = results

and the effort needs to be put in over many, many years.

These questions and demands are a sad inditement of todays instant society.

S

Steve Clements

Are you taking the piss ?
Every reply you've had up to now dictates the right direction, neverwill there be a bait that selects big carp unless you count 40 mill. baits/boilies whatever.
And whats wrong with 15 lb'ers?
Perhaps if you caught a few more of these 'small' fish you'd answer your own question.
Reasonable , educated advice is freely available here.
If my attitude here is wrong( and I'm beginning to sense doubt ) then sorry for being harsh.
You will not benefit from cathing monsters so quickly anyway, as if you would.
Enjoyment and a sense of achievement will provide the kick.
Don't set those sights so high, achievements are so much more appreciated when earned.
Don't give in to the hype!!!!!
Good hunting.