cakeys spring rig

A

Alan Thatcher

I like the idea fo this rig but you don't say what success you have had with it. I would be very interestsd to know of the results.
Different sizes of springs could be used for different baits.

D

David Bristow

The only concern that I have about it is, would it be felt/detected by the fish? Other than that its a great idea one that I will be putting through its paces Chubbing on my local river this autumn & winter. So I'll keep you all informed my progress.

T

The Monk

Well done Cakey mate, its obviously got milage, put me down for a tee shirt!

D

David Bristow

I've had plenty of success using coiled telephone wire with paste/soft cheese for chub. As the wire is plastic coated and pliable I have found that it has been less detectable by chub. It will be interesting to see how it performs during the forthcoming summer season :)

D

David Hall

I realise I am coming in late to this at nearly Christmas but this looks like the rig I've been looking for for a while I caught the end of a Matt Hayes progreamme about a month ago whe this rig was bieng used for barbel fishing
As a newbie to all this forum stuff maybe I'm stepping on toes here but could I take this oportunity to wish you all at fishing magic a hapy Christmas with lots of great tackle presi's ahealth and prosperous Hogmanay and tight lines all round
:)~

C

Carp Angler

that's a lot truer than you think Cakey.

With the weekly or monthly 'names' finding it a struggle to come up with new material, then I have often noticed a thread or article online and then read something, very similar, in the mags shortly after.
Not that I would accuse Matty of that, obviously........

J

jason fisher

i noticed about 5 of the coincidences in the weeklies last month

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Yeah, i'll go wiv that.

Oi Cakehole, whats wiv the 'and' text fing?

P

Phil Hackett

Ok here we go I’m going to upset a few here. I find this rig bloody dangerous and detrimental to the welfare of the fish.
Why you ask?
Well such a device if it comes detached is likely to impale itself in the gut wall of a fish. By the very nature of a spring which is so fine the end cannot be rounded or blunted enough so as it doesn’t puncture the wall. Any microscopic bur on the spring end would be able to catch holed and tear a minute hole in the wall, allowing the full spring end to enter. In puncturing the wall, the device will because of the reticular motion of the gut, start to screw itself in because the coils act as a screw thread.

When the device is securely imbedded several things will start to happen; the entry hole will first become inflamed, making it difficult for food to pass down and past the inflammation and spring. As a result of the inflammation and subsequent irritation and bacterial build up, the area will become highly infected. This may result in the death of the fish or at the very least, failure to thrive. The puncture wound may allow air and debris into the body cavity again resulting in the death of the fish. This last factor could become severely acute, if the spring rips away and tears a large hole in the wall. Death would inevitably ensue within a few days.

Some will I’ve no doubts say, it has never happened to me yet and that’s probably correct.
But there is in my view, an inevitability that it will at some time in the future. The knot may slip round and off the end of the spring. The fish may bite off both the hook and spring with its pharynngeal teeth, leaving a double danger. The hair may just brake. Any of which could bring about the above occurrences.

I also have very real concerns that as this rig gains wider usage less competent angler will start to use it. With such wider usage, there is that inevitability and real risk that mortality rates will start to climb.

Ask yourself this question “would you really want to put at risk the life of a specimen of your favourite Species?” All because you just wanted an easy life when using paste, etc.
For me that is a risk to far. The fish’s well-being must always come first over my personal ease of angling practice.

J

jason fisher

phil
if you get a soldering iron you can solder the end of the spring closed to the turn next to it, therefore no exposed ends therefore the end of your problem.
my second point on the spring being dangerous is why arent all the fish dying from the hooks they eat then, barbed hooks are after all designed to go into the flesh and then stay there.
The one thing wrong with this rig is it is completely useless for chub fishing, i started off on a design similar to this but hair rigged paste didn't land any of the 20+ bites that i got on it, i have now developed a method of mounting the spring on the shank of the hook by the eye which is whipped in place and caught lots of chub on it.

C

Cakey

Phil so what are you going to use instead of a hook then?? (just in case your hooklength breaks)

This is a well tested rig ,over the course of a couple of years no rigs and no springs were lost.

P

Phil Hackett

Cakey
As yet!
Jason how do you know the fish when the hook and spring are lost are not dying?

Not all carcases come to the top!

J

jason fisher

how many have you seen dying from lost hooks phil, if the fish's gut will push a spring through the wall then it will push the much sharper hook through the wall surely. many more hooks are lost than springs and there aren't loads of fish floating round with stomachs ripped open by the hooks that they have eaten.
whats more the paste that i am using has dissolved within an hour so if i did get a crack off the fish would have less than an hour to find the bait and eat it or it would just be a lump of metal sat on the bottom.
i am not advocating using the spring for anything other than paste, i tried the bare hook with paste molded onto it and lost the bait on the first 5 casts so this particular paste requires some support to retain it on the cast.