Cringe!!

• Thread starter Tony wainwright
  • Start date
T

Tony wainwright

I was watching one of the fishing programmes on sky recently and these guys were fly fishing for carp (in the states I think). They landed some beautiful common carp and then proceeded to weigh them by clamping a set of scales to the top lip!!
I was cringing! It was worse than finger nails down a blackboard!
They were exclaiming how beautiful the fish were, over 20lbs, and then treating them as if they were dead.
However, on another programme they stressed that if at all possible you should try not to take a fish out of the water as it can cause serious internal damage to vertebrae, organs etc.
I can understand a general fisheran being ignorant of these details but these men are professionals (Supposedly).
This is the sort of thing that the Anti brigade lap up. Though I dont suppose that they would ever consider banning fishing abroad.

T

The Monk

Last time I was in the USA they had a cross bow carp match and I caught a few carp full of holes, hows that for carp conservation?

R

Rodney Wrestt

I saw Rex Hunt use a set of scales to weigh a fish on his show once, these had what I would describe as a mini spring loaded bear trap at the end and as the fish was brought in close enough he slammed the scales into the fish activating the spring mechanism which clamped onto the fishes jaw, he then used the clamp to swing it aboard and weight it, he then went on to say how great they were. I can only imagine he got an earfull (at least I hope he did)as he never used them again.

S

steve flook

Tony,
I saw the same programme. I was sitting there watching this mad yank stalking 20lb commons on lures(imitation crayfish), thinking that perhaps Gordy wasnt the lure king, when he goes and clamps a *@:+*%@* thing to their top lip and drags it on board. I couldnt believe it. the thing is, the guy (Flip i think) is a very concientious fisherman, he appreciates his fishing, and he thought he was doing the right thing. I was hoping that this was a breakthrough in the way the yanks look at carp, and although it was good to see them returning the fish, they still have a long way to go to match our approach to fish welfare.

T

Tony wainwright

Monk,
I posted a thread a while back on how a local, working in the fishing section of Walmart in Canada "caught" a 43lb (I think)carp using a bow and arrow!
Steve, I think that it may be less of a concern in the States as they dont have to contend with the anti brigade as we do. Can you imagine how long fishing would last if we treated our fish in the same way?

R

Ron Clay

I have a copy of "the Second Angling Times Book". In it, Eric J. Taylor - the first chaiman of the National Association of Specimen Groups describes the best way of dealing with an eel.

"I fetch it a good wallop with something stiff and heavy - a large cold chisel is ideal for the job".....;o0

Times change I suppose.

J

John McLaren

One problem is we all do daft things at times but when its on video why not edit them out? Reality TV is ok but setting a good example in the sport is more important.

Do you recall the Go Fishing programme when JW went tench juggling? And just recently I saw a Bob Nudd video on River fishing. Good bit of work and Bob always seems to be the nicest of blokes. He caught a really nice barbel and instead of putting back he put it in his keepnet!!!!!!

T

The Monk

hi tony

actually mate they do have a strong anti angling following in both Canada and the USA,

like a number of countries in the world however, carp are classified vermin, in Southern austrial you are probably aware you can get fined for putting them back alive, when i've fished in the states, the local sports fisherman cant quite understand why we choose to fish for carp, although things are changing slowly.

The american culture is one of family orientation towards fishing, the whole family will go away on vacation to fish, plus they have a strong gun lobby over their, its difficvult to make a comparison with other cultures and countries, many of the eastern european countries still regard carp as a delicacy, I,ve eaten them, its all relivent really. The problem with carp is that being omnivorous and prolithic breeders in warmer climes, they tend to reduce iand extinct indiguous species, and over a period of time, can basically reduce a water into a stunted muddy carp only pool, Ron Clay will tell you of the ecological effect on some of the south african waters, while I've witnessed this in the middle east, dont get me wrong I love carp and have fished for them most of my life, but I much preferred the days of the true british wildie, or at least as british as you could get, I think carp fishing has lost its way over the last thirty years, especially with the introduction of the variety sps