Carp Record Broken

D

Dave Silvers

Sorry lads, not Two Tone but my own personal best, which now stands at 22lbs.
Yes I know everyone else has had bigger fish, but it is 'my' best.

For the record it was taken from a "Lincolnshire stillwater" this past weekend. I've always wanted to say that it makes me feel like a proper angler.

If anyones really interested it was taken from Grange Leisure just outside Mablethorpe (thats the cred gone) and it can be fished on a day ticket for the princely sum of ?3 for two rods.

Rumour has it that there is a thirty in there so as Arnie said 'I'll be Back'

C

Carp Angler

Nice one Dave.

It certainly beats my best from any 'Lincolnshire stillwater'

Mablethorpe lol
'eh lad, it even sounds up t'north.....

D

Dave Silvers

'eh lad, it even sounds up t'north.....

It certainly is up t'north lad.

Three quid a day gives it away.

Thanks one and all

S

Stuart Bullard

U must be joking, that is eskimo country.

Well done Dave, nice one.

R

Rodney Wrestt

congrats Dave......bigger than my p.b. by the way but shhhh don't tell everyone.

T

Terry Comerford

My PB carp is 9lb after 35 years of angling, (mainly match fishing) my local venue Himley Hall, holds fish to 25lb.
Whats the most selective method of targeting the bigger specimens.
I would like a twenty before Xmas.

D

Dave Silvers

Hi Terry,
I,ll stick my neck out an 'try' to give some sound advice, which i'm sure will be followed by others much more experienced than I am.
First and foremost you've actually hit the nail on the head in your question.
You've actually got to target the bigger fish.
When fishing for carp I use hair rigged baits exclusively.
Usually boillies fished over a bed of pellets/particles presented in a PVA bag or net.
Make sure you cast to the same spot to build up a bed of bait. Just the same as match fishing really. The main difference is when match fishing you expect to catch a fish every few minutes, with bigger carp it's a waiting game.
You can fish 10 - 12 hours without a take and then get a run in the last few minutes of the session, end up with a good double and suddenly you've had a good day.
Don't ignore the margins some of the biggest fish will come from there.
When fishing the margins I generally bait up with sweetcorn and fish three pieces on the hair, the middle one in the sandwich being an artifical pop up, which tends to
counteract the wieght of the hook when the carp starts sucking.
Hope that helps and that someone offers further advice, but books and books have been written on the subject of tactics, baits and rigs,

Good Luck.

D

Dave Silvers

PS.
Also get used to being ridiculed when you get home and you've blanked again.

T

Terry Comerford

Thanks Dave,
Having now retired from matches I want to attempt to up my personal bests at (a)Carp,
(b)perch, and (c) barbel.
Your advice agrees with what most carp anglers have told me so far.
I have often watched the larger carp hoovering up the left over bait in the margins as the cars leave the car park, after a match.

D

Dave Silvers

Terry
The response to your question has been poor to say the least, I'm a little disappointed.
The 'Regulars' on this site are usually not so backwards at coming forwards.
It could be that because you've asked the question on an old thread, not many people are still reading it.
Try posting your questoin in a new thread and see if the response is better.
If that does not work try using a womens name thats guaranteed to get a response.

T

Terry Comerford

Thanks Dave,
No carp at the week end, had 12 'nuisance' tench to 6lb (2lb better than my PB!)
Activ8s chopped in a pva bag,with pieces hair rigged,did the damage.
Loads of crucians churning up my beds of chopped activ8s in the margins.
Off after a big perch this week will probably better my carp PB on chopped lobworm!