advice

P

Paul B . :)

Have started fishing a couple of local still waters for carp where the fish are from 3-20lb max.i am using line off 6lb main and 4lb hook length to size 14+16 hook.Have noticed that most others are using stronger tackle and and thimk perhaps i should up me line strength and hook size what do guys think?whats a better setup for targetting these size fish?

I

ian jay

Hi Paul

I think that a lot of it depends upon the characteristics of your rod, and the amount of experience you have. Assuming that the water is not too snaggy, your 6lb main line should be OK, but I would fish it straight, with a release system to free the lead should you have a break.

If your rod is like a poker, and you are a heavy-handed novice (to big fish), you may have to move to 8lb?

Perhaps a larger hook should be considered? I use 8's, with high carbon content. They don't bend like the little ones ;-)

No doubt the rest of the team will have other ideas, but at the end of the days it is the confidence that you have in your kit that is important. Confidence gained by experience ...

Ian

P

Cheers for reply my rod has t/c of 2 1/2lb
the hooks i mostly use are kamasan x-strong animal barbless spades size 16 .think i will try size to 10 or 12 and fish straight through as u suggested i lost a probable pb mirror the other day due to hooklength snapping altough if im honest i probably was a bit heavey handed with it.But we live and learn eh . Anyway i went back the nextday and got me first common at 10lb.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
10-12lb line and protect your fish from tethering mate. Last thing you want is for a small double to be chasing round the lake with loads of tackle hanging from its mouth. Be brave and step up.

What baits are you using and what size? then we can help you with your hooksizes.

P

currently experimenting with paste as boiles
are banned,i am going to try chick peas,corn and meat aswell usually fishing from 3pm onwards in the margins or tight into an island. I always fish with anti-tether rigs to protect the fish.

so then u would recommened fishing 12lb straight through?with say size 10 hook?and hair rig the bait?