Moving Fish??

D

Danny Lancaster

I have a decent sized garden pond at home with around 60 - 70 fish in. Amongst all the goldfish and orfe I have 13 mirror carp to around 1?lb weight in there. Unfortunately I am moving house in the near future and am unable to take any of the pond fish with me.

A friend of mine suggested I take them down to the local pond (its about 1? acre in size, plenty of natural food) and let them grow on in there. It seemed a good idea at the time, but I am reluctant just to chuck them in without getting them checked out for any disease, parasites etc..

Could anyone give me any advise on how to get them checked out and what else I need to do to move them legally. The pond isn't controlled by any angling association.

T

The Monk

check with the EA first Danny, you are taking a sensible approach

David Preston

Reaction score
Not good news, if you are going to do it properly and legally. You need a Section 30 consent. To get this you really need to get a sample of the fish health checked, which meeans shipping them to a laboratory for examination, and a considerable cost.

Probably the only way to rehome your fish legally is to find a club who own an enclosed water (no rivers in or out) and offer them the fish. If they are prepared to take the health risk with their own fish, you can probably get consent from the EA without the health checks etc.

Talk to the EA.