Standing on my own two feet

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
So what do you think? I can take it!
Have you tried this theory or something similar? do you think it could inspire the right feeding signals to the carp's brain? or can you offer up a sugestion to help move this forward?

B

Buttocks Bullard

The only bit I struggle with is getting out in a spod without it ooooozing out. But then again, I have never used a spod, just bought one and am going to have my first practice Sat night.

Also, would it not be better to crush first then cook?? My passion is cooking and I know how difficult it is liquidising loads of stuff like that, so I would crush then soak, then cook.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
firstly it took me about 15 minutes to liquidise the lot shown in the picture. Secondly, if you leave the 'mush' standing in the bucket, the blended particle will sink to the bottom. Just drain juice off when yu get to the venue and the spodding should be easier!

C

Cakey

Stuart
good reading ,good stuff!
what blender do you use?
After seeing your rigs earlier in the year (at Waveney)and seeing your rigs recentley I would say that your not an improving angler but an improved one .
The article is of special interest to me because as you know Im on particles only for a year apart from taking 5k to France with me next month just in case.
So I'll be giving your mix n mash a go soon.

CAKEY

S

stu black

i've read recently that milk is really bad for deoxygenating water. In the past i've added condensed milk to particles and i've always felt it did well, but is using it going to have a detrimental affect on the lake?

T

The Monk

dairy products effect BOD (oxygen levels) in water if used in large quantities, but the amount you are probably using will ameleorate through weed uptake, shouldent be a problem mate but something you should be aware of.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna need your glasses Monk as Im not as edu-macated as you and have to keep referring to the bloody dictionary when you post! (All interesting reading though mate) :)

T

The Monk

To give you an example of dairy products on water BOD content, a few years ago I observed a water where the carp were all swimming unusually on the surface obviously in a state of distress, the controlling club had to bring in oxygenating pumps in and leave them running for a few days, research indicated that the controlling club had removed a large amount of reed from the inflow channel and this particular inflow passed higher up the catchment through a number of diary farms who occasionally emptied milk bi-products directly into the stream, with the reeds removed, no filtration (amelioration) took place and thus the BOD levels decreased significantly, had the oxygenators not been introduced immediatey, then the ecological balance and fauna levels of the lake would have been seriously reduced. This is a common problem in some areas of the country and it is of course illegal for farmers to dump dairy products directly into water courses.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Its actually 4.5 kilos of boilies Cakey, as they've stared to evaporate due to the time its taken for you to pick-em up!
Wahaaa!

T

The Monk

Thinking about it stuart, I wonder has any one done any research on mass boilie baiting programmes with milk proteins and its effect on BOD levels in small waters, not really my field, anyone out there with any knowledge of this? but I think it could be examined under controlled models. Have you got anything on this Phil if your out there?

C

Cakey

All that bait,flavours,and particle in your office and your worried about my 4.2k of boilies taking up too much room.

CAKEY

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I have no issues with your 3.8 kilos of boilies taking up room mate, no probs at all!
Monk, I must admit, I really haven't seen much on long term pre-baiting, especially over a 12-24 month period. Not just the effects on BOD'd but more conentional baiting too.

P

Paul Williams

I can just see it now Stu....your office that is....brings a smile!......your visitors must think you a right wierdo when you invite them in and you are surrounded by bulk bags of nuts, beans, and wierd sweet sickly smells fill the air!
Most non anglers link "maggots and worms" with angling so trying to explain makes it even worse.......My daughter goes balistic at me if she brings friends in and i'm playing with baits......now if the smell doesn't offend them i scrap the bait ;)

C

Cakey

I'll be over monday for my 3.3k of boilies mate.
I'll bring the candle for your boat with me.

CAKEY

C

Chrisx Ess

Monk, I believe the boilie manufacturers keep pet carp which are fed exclusively on their products. Apparently they also keep an eye on oxygen levels too. I can't remember where I read this, and I can't confirm it - though others probably could. I would be interested to know the answers to your questions too.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
You'd better make in the morning Cakey as I've just had the pass for Monday night as well as Tuesday, so I'll get your 2k of boilies ready and waiting. Come on over B4 you're job for a coffee and bacon butty mate!

Spot-on Paul, right down to the little detail. I've got about 2,500 sq ft and inside hosts a massive kitchen in which to work my baits etc. As Cakey will confirm, there are many of my staff who still question their work contracts as to rolling my baits!

T

The Monk

Cheers ChrisX, I think we've all done some form of experimentation at some level along these lines and it would be interesting to hear of any tests, results along these lines should of course be published, if you can remember where you read it I would be most interested, cheers mate