First Winter

M

Mark Johnson

This being my first summer of fishing, i am starting to think about the winter. With it now fast approaching and having last weekend got absolutley drenched for the first time and having the worst day/nights fishing so far, i am thinking is this just going to be a summer sport. Will the bites keep coming during the winter?

Your advice would be much appreciated,

Complete Novice

T

The Monk

winter fishing can be very rewarding, but it can also be very bleak, the first thing you need to do is get yourself kitted out with plenty of warm clothing and ideally find someone who has some experience of winter fishing, plenty of warm drinks, as a general rule look towards the afternoons on still waters and check out the winter pools on rivers, dont use as much ground bait and move your bait around frequently, some waters fish very well in the winter and others just die, so check out your local press especially match results, should give you some indication of the action you can expect, the key to it all though is persistance.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
dear mark i think you should stick to one or two lakes in the winter and remember where you were catching fish from in the summer months carp mostly stay near their summer feeding spots and try the margins and under over hanging trees they love the snags i hope this helps you out this winter tight lines colin brett.

D

Dave Rothery

Dont be afraid to fish in shallow water, especially in high (air) pressure.

D

Dave Slater

Mark,
You do not say what type of water you have been fishing. If you have been fishing rivers then, in my experience, winter can be the best time. If fishing stillwaters then it is probably better to stick to fairly prolific ones during the winter. Try to work out a game plan for the winter months. It may be that a change of species is called for. See what suits you best. I particularly like fishing for chub, roach, pike and perch in the winter. I tend to confine fishing for tench, carp and barbel to the summer months, although friends of mine do very well with these species during the winter. Whatever you fish for in the winter you should find the fish in good condition and the same fish will probably be caught at higher weights than during the summer. There are also usually fewer anglers around, which makes the fishing more pleasant. Although the fishing can sometinmes be slower during the winter this is more than made up for by having a greater chance of getting the swims you want. Give it a try. I am sure you will not be disappointed.

D

Dave Rothery

Dont worry if you dont catch - unless everyone else is!! winter fishing can be really hit or miss. One guy on one of the lakes i fish fished two nights a week till january without a take. then did a short afternoon session, and had 6 twenties! then nothing till march. all the fish came on the same rod (coincidence? i think not!)

M

Mark Johnson

Thanks for the advice.

To let you know, i have been learning to fish at a still water fishery down in Sussex. I will try there a few weekends over the colder darker months and see how the luck goes. If it is a success then i will carry on throughout, otherwise i'll have a nice warm rest and stay at home infront of the fire planning visits to other parts of the country.

Thanks

Mark

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I can't say I blame you for resting up Mark, but if you've only just got into fishing this year, and you wish to improve your angling skills then you really should give it everything you can in the colder months. The harder you have to work through the winter, the better your knowledge and chances are in the summer! Us non-fair-weathered anglers will be on here come rain or shine to help you out with your challenges through-out the winter.

brian hutchinson

Reaction score
Mark,
Like myself you and i are new to this wonderfull sport. I find asking around locally, can help. Where to fish, when and what with. A local guy said in winter the most needed item in your tackle box is, a hip flask to add to your coffee.

A

andrew jackson

Brian I know your comments about hip flasks are toungue in cheek, but the comment does have serious undertones. Any carpers out there who are new to winter carp fishing, be aware that drinking alcohol during very cold long sessions could be potentialy very dangerous. The warm feeling experienced from a tot of the strong stuff, is a short term fix that actualy reduces your body temperature. I will explain why if any of the members are interested, but it could get a little long winded.

C

Cakey

Winter is the best time,all the fair weather fishermen gone,empty swims everywhere,bigger carp seem to feed.
buy a decent suit and gloves and thermal boots ,if you get cold you wont go again.
spare clothes in the car is always a good idea.
Catching carp in the snow is great !!!

CAKEY

T

The Monk

Get me a swim ready Cakey, I must be fishing the wrong sort of waters?

C

Cakey

Okey cakey ,when you coming,oops shouldnt say that to a monk.

CAKEY

T

The Monk

No you shouldnt my son, bless you all the same nice little southern carpie!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Although I’ve got a comfy two man bivvy and a separate shelter, I thought with this winter coming up and my opportunity to be doing one-nighters throughout the colder months, it was about time I spent some cash. My intention is to leave work late afternoon, get down the lake and fish through until first light then pop back to work again. I’ll be doing this every other week. With this in mind, the two man bivvy will take up too much of my time and in the winter, my shelter, well, it won’t quite shelter me enough!. So I’ve treated myself to the new fox evolution plus with the additional wrap and groundsheet. Add to this some new waterproof walking boots and a fleece big enough to sleep in and I’m gonna be cosy this winter. I’ve also got Cakey who likes to get in with me for a cuddle as he tends to get scared these days so I should be all right!

T

The Monk

Are you a Southern Carpie Stuart, only I thought you was from the "Wild Northwest"?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I’m a Southern Carpie Monk, although I do support drug problems, unemployed, car theft, teenage single mothers and the totally uneducated as well as everything else that the north encapsulates up there by paying loads of tax (just like the rest of us superior southerners), we feel it's only fair to do our bit for the less fortunate don’t you think? Don’t worry though mate, one day you’ll be able to see the sun, learn to use cutlery, chew with your mouth closed, receive electricity, use interior toilets, speak properly and hopefully, just hopefully stop beating your wives!

Torch paper lit…… I’m off to find shelter under Cakey’s skirt……….

T

The Monk

Very decent of you Stuart, actually mate, its the wives who beat us! You certainly have some superior waters, cant argue with that, and you have some nice women too, ask your mother does she remember me! The Totally Uneducated? Hey come on, dont bring Elvis Pete into this! Nice Southern Carpies!