S

steve southwick

what is the safest way to use leadcore
when making a rig up SO that it does
not become a tether rig any advice would be very helpful
cheers

S

stu black

I asked this question a couple of months ago Steve. I didnt get any answers that time but i did a search for "leadcore" and found a good thread on it. Helicopter rigs seemed to be the safest suggestion but since then ive been using backleads and slacker lines and i've found that's helped increase the number of bites.
hope this helps,

Stu

S

steve southwick

thanks stu i will try that i just thought i would try the leadcore as it is some thing different on the lake i fish the carp are getting a bit tricky anyway
thanks again

C

Cakey

Are you talking about the hooklength or are you talking about a couple of feet after the rig??

S

steve southwick

iam not quite sure would you make the rig out of leadcore

M

Mark Spod

DONT MAKE YOUR RIG OUT OF LEADCORE!!
The easiest way to uterlise leadcore (especially if your new to using it) is to buy either Nash Limpets or something similar (Fox and Mainline are almost the same) the beauty of these are you simply attach them to the rigs swivel as you would a ready tied hook link to line (just in case you don't know how to do this there are instructions with these packs)and join onto your main line using a parlor knot,then ensure your lead can safely pass over the ajoining knot incase of a snap off. Once cast out do not tighten your line too much otherwise you will simply pull the leadcore up of the lake bed, thus defeating the object of using it. If you are not confident you can safely fish using leadcore try useing flying back leads instead.

C

Carp Angler

I've been experimenting with helicopter leadcore rigs recently and I'll publish an article about it soon.
It is certainly the safest way of using leadcore leaders, IF you set it up properly.

Mark,
Why can't you make rigs from leadcore?

C

Chris Betts

I used leadcore for about two seasons as a leader. I gave up on it and went back to tube with a blob of heavy metal on the end. I found with leadcore that is does not like snags or heavy weed. Much to my cost. The best way to use it in my opinion is leave it in the packet, and get it out of your rucksack occasionally to remind you that fish welfare comes first.

S

steve southwick

ok thanks fellas i will wait for riks
article on the subject be fore i use it
thanks again

M

Mark Spod

Carp Angler
If youve ever caught fish using a leadcore leader I've no doubt youv'e seen on occassions that if the fish rolls on the leadcore it has quite severe red marks on its flanks, imagine what would happen if your rig was made of leadcore. I actually spoke to Julian Cundiff about this a couple of years ago and at the time he said he did agree, but if we worried to much about hurting the fish then where do you draw the line ie does the hook hurt it, what stress is it under when hooked etc, However, I noted in a recent article he has now stopped using leadcore because of damage he has seen it cause fish, and now prefers to use tubing and flying back leads. At the end of the day we all have to use what we think is best, but I would hope if after using leadcore you start to notice damage to the Carps flanks which you weren't seeing before you would reconsider.
Tight lines

C

Carp Angler

Several points here and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, this is just mine.

Firstly, fish welfare is paramount, and I always, always, always put the safety of the fish before any captures.

There are two different types of leadcore.
The first type, like the Nash Limpets or the trout type leadcore, has a close weave and I would suggest is better for the flanks of the fish than straight mono.

The second type, like the Fox and Gardner stuff, is pretty much like ordinary braid (Silkworm etc) except that it has a soft lead inner.
With the lead stripped out at the hook end, then this is no different to something like Silkworm for a hooklength and so I can't really see any issues with using it for that, although I wouldn't use it behind the lead.

I hope that clear up the two types of leadcore and when I would use both.

D

Dave Rothery

Totally agree carp angler - i dont use leadcore for hooklengths, but i would suggest its less damaging to fishes mouths than fine braids, due to its diameter. You see quite a few fish with the corner of their mouths damaged, which some people put down to poor hookholds, bullying etc, but how many fish do you hook in the corner of the mouth?
I wouldn't hesitate to use leadcore behind the lead, but i cant on the lake i'm fishing at the moment. i can use flourocarbon/heavy tubing, but it seems to me that a lot of the time the problem is weed clogging on the knot used to attach the leadcore (try and find a diagram of the "keith moors" knot), so even "safe" rigs become tether rigs. should the flourocarbon be banned??