Damaged Line

A

Andy Blessett

I've got a Shimano "Carp Cruncher" float rod, (which I thought was superb at first!) that puts ringlets in my line. It would appear that the tip eye is giving the same effect as pulling a rulers edge across a strip of paper. The rod has been sent back to Shimano and they have fitted it with a new end section. But, alas, I still have the same problem with the new tip. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have a solution to this problem?. All advice greatfully received.

D

David Will

Sounds like the eye itself , try a replacement from your local shop.Take the rod in if you are in doubt as to how to change it.

W

Wag

Andy, are you sure it's not the way you spool up your reel. It sounds like line twist, which is more likely to be caused either by winding the line on to your reel in the opposite direction to the way it was wound on to the spool at the factory, or using the baitrunner to let line off the reel, which puts loads of twist into the line and causes just the "ringlet" effect you're describing.
I can't see this being caused by a rod ring unless it is completely knackered, in which case the damage would be obvious.

S

steve flook

Carl is right. This does sound like line twist. Try one of the Gardener Spin Doctors, they`re great for taking out the twist. 3 cast and youre usually done. Just beware of the pike. First time I used mine a huge crocodile type thing took a liking to it and that was the last I saw of it.

A

Andy Blessett

Thanks for your comments guys. I've decided to send the rod back to Shimano again, their 'Techno' guys should be able to fix it, I hope!. I'm getting to the conclusion that its a design/configuration fault. Under a magnifying glass the eye liner has chamfered edges where on other rods I have, the liners are rounded over. When Shimano give me an answer I'll pass it on.

K

Kevan Farmer

Andy. My first step would be to try either another of my reels or one of my mates. Does the same thing happen with other rods and that particular line/reel combination?

Kevan

A

Andy Blessett

Kevan. No it doesn't, I use the same reel/line combination on other rods with no problems at all. The "Cruncher" is the only rod I use that gives me this trouble. This is why I believe it's an eye problem.