WASP NEST

T

Terry Webb

I HAVE A WASP NEST IN A SMALL TREE IN MY GARDEN, HOW DO I DEAL WITH THAT.
I WAS GOING TO WAIT UNTIL THEY DIED OFF AND THEN JUST DROP THE WHOLE THING INTO A BAG AND DROP IT INTO A FREEZER.

T

The Monk

Would be interested to know what the new methods are, In the old days we got hold of some Cymag, this was cyanide powder, just added water, lethal stuff, we used second world war gas masks to use the stuff, in later years, although we were still stupid at this point, we used carbon tetrachloride, still with our second world war gas masks on, this stuff used to make the wasps drunk, they sort of staggered about, but still stung you, be very careful what you use mate! I’ve heard smoking them out can work?

G

graham hepworth

I've just removed a nest from the bank at the back of a favourite swim , method was

1/. dust around entrance of nest with ant powder 2 days before the planned removal ;

2/. on day of removal place a mole smoke in entrance of nest and allow to burn completely out , while taking care of surrounding vegetation ;

3/. after sunset return with spade and dig the nest out.

I now have the nest and grubs at home , in total I've got cake to about the equivalent of four dinner plates full of grubs, and didn't get stung.

Hope that helps.

T

Terry Webb

THANKS GRAHAM,I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF I SURVIVE. TERRY WEBB..

Robin Waterman

Reaction score
Cymag is no longer approved for use in the UK and its mere possession is now an offence (see www.pesticides.gov.uk). Cymag had only recently been approved for use against rats and rabbits so using it on wasps was a non no. Using any pesticide for a use for which it's not approved (or using it but not following the statutory conditions or precautions are also offences). It's also an offecne to use non-approved pesticides for controlling pests - such as petrol, smoke and dry cleaning fluid. There are currently no moles smokes approved for use in the UK.