An awesome experience

B

Brian Lewis

Saturday morning. Fine weather. Both my 11 year old son and I felt like some fishing. We decided to go to our local water, where I'm a Member, to fish for carp.

As he accompanies me we have to fish the same swim so I suggested that we took only my pod, the rod on the left would be mine and the one on the right his. We'd have a friendly competion between us to see who caught the biggest fish.

During the session something happened that has never happened to me before. Both bite alarms went off at exactly, and I really do mean exactly, the same time. Both took off like an express train and we were both fishing in different areas of the lake.

We picked up our rods and were both into what felt like reasonably good fish. We looked at each other and smiled and I have to say that the feeling as we were playing these fish, side by side with my son, was truly awesome. What a feeling!

So who came out on top. Well mine weighed in at 8lb 4oz and Darren's came in at, you might have guessed, 11lb 2oz. His first double!

And to top it all, he rubbed it even more by following this up with another at 13lb 2oz.

So I was well and truly beaten but what an awesome experience!!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Brian, I have two sons, one is 3 the other is only a year old and I long for the day when I can take them along with me. I envy you sir and look forward to such a wonderful experience myself one day. Congratulations to you both. Absolutelty superb!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I also have a daughter of 4 weeks, and she'll probably be the one who knocks the socks off of me and her brothers no doubt!

T

The Monk

great stuff brian, but be careful mate, My lads been fishing since he was about three and he always outfishes me, its an embarresment these days, took him to France for his first twenty and he caught a 38.08 mirror,took him to Birch Grove and he had a 32lb, took him to Yateley and told him I'd forgotten the boilies. He'd had 9 thirties by the time he was 16, now at 19 he shows me how to fish?

B

Brian Lewis

Thanks for all your comments, guys, and Stuart, many congratulations , albeit belatedly, on the birth of your daughter. My boys are 11 and almost 10, and I've a daughter of 7. Enjoy the tot stage. When mine were tots I used to wish they could communicate better - now they're older I sometimes wish they didn't communicate so much!! Wouldn't have it any other way though.

As far as the fishing is concerned I still can't get over the two bite alarms going off at exactly the same time. What must be the odds on that happening with baits so far apart?

Jerry Long

Reaction score
nice one Brian. I"ve been taking my son,Ian,fishing with me since he was 5 [he is now 15].Two weeks ago i did 3day session on a local carp lake on my own,and no way was it as good without who i consider to be my best mate there.I hope your lad carries on going with you for many years to come.

D

Dave Johnson

nice one Brian. my lad of four had a 6lb mirror couple of weeks ago-he still tells anyone who will listen...:eek:)

Not sure how he will do on the Dove this winter though.....

do they do all in one suits that small....Brummy?