Barbel in the Dane and Ribble

T

The Monk

I used to fish both the Dane and Ribble in the late sixties and early seventies and none had barbel in at that time, after that I lost track, caught up with the Carp bug. I've heard the Dane barbel came from the Severn and the Ribble Barbel came from the Yorkshire Rivers, which was the first of these rivers to have Barbel introduced, when and by whom?

E

Eric Hayes

Don`t quote me on this Monk but from what I can gather They was introdused in the mid 70`s (75ish)in the church deeps area by who is anyons guess, Probably the EA or what ever they was known has then. Maybe someone could shed more light on this. It would be interesting to find out exactly where, when and at what size.
I used to fish the Ribble has a kid and all that I could catch was eel`s, I kept one (1 LBer) in a dolly tub in the back yard for two years feeding it on raw meat from my dad`s butchers shop eventualy I let it go In the Leed Liverpool cannal....them where the days :eek:)

T

The Monk

Cheers Eric, interesting mate, I have fished the Church Deeps at Preston, I think it would have been the River Board Authorities in those days, dont think the NRA have become established? Caught plenty of boots in there myself mate, also caught a few grilse and herling, first year runners!

E

Eric Hayes

At one time you could catch flatties as far up as ribchester, so my brother tells me but not anymore, I wonder why that is? maybe the Barbel are killing them all at preston :OP

T

The Monk

Yes mate, I remember the flatties, wonder what happend to them?

G

gary knowles

Monk,

From what I hear barbel were 'drip fed' into the Ribble starting at the M6 motorway bridge. I wonder how that happened ????

Dunno where the venue for the pike talk is yet. The RO is supposedly phoning me this week to give me details. I'll let you know when he does.....

T

The Monk

Cheers Gary, I can bring the lads over then to slag you off!