Multipliers. I'm confused......

S

Sascha Welsch

There's probably a very simple explanation for this; but why are the majority of multipliers right hand wind and fixed spool reels left hand?

K

Kevan Farmer

You'd think it would be an easy answer wouldn't you? Well, I've been in contact with Abu and Penn and they don't know. All I can get is that it is traditional or historical. Most Americans -who have a larger multiplier market than we do - are actually happy to use a multiplier with the winding handle on the right.

The good news is that a number of companies do actually produce multipliers with a choice of left or right hand wind. I'm not sure about Penn but Abu, Shimano and Masterline all have reels with this option.

Sorry I can't answer it with a proper explanation.

Kevan

J

Jeremy Airey

Sascha
The answer is little known and very simple.
As the multiplier GENERALLY has a rubbish retrieve rate the handle was put on the right, most peoples stronger side, rather than the left, some bright spark worked out that you wind 3 times faster with your dominant hand and arm. It's all a hang-over from the 'pre fixed spool' centerpin and single action flyreel days of long ago.
Also precise drag control, whether via rim or star, comes more naturally with the dominant hand.
regards
Jeremy Airey

R

Ron Clay

This is a very interesting thread. Although I am right handed and reel with my left, there are instances where a right hand wind on a multiplier works better.

One instance is the fishing of plastic worms for bass. You pick up the baitcasting rod and reel in your right hand. Make the cast, feathering it down with your thumb. Then you transfer the rod to your left hand, put your thumb on the line above the reel to feel for bites and then you start the retrieve by cranking with your right hand.

You are in immediate touch with the lure.

You can't do this with a left hand wind multiplier if you are right handed.

T

The Monk

Generally the multiplyer sits on the top of the rod, or a least thats how I use them, the majority of people are right handed, does this make sense?

J

Jeremy Airey

Ron
You can if you 'palm' the reel, this works with either hand. I know because I use both left and right hand retrieve reels, and I only have hands like a gorilla either.
It works for me
Hope this helps
Jeremy

S

Sascha Welsch

Makes sense Jeremy but I would have thought that to use your strongest hand/arm as a lever in lifting the rod against a weight (especially sea and big-game fishing)would be preferable to useing your weakest.
I personally find it very awkward to wind with my right hand and seem to lose a sense of control when lifting with my left hand/arm as opposed to my right. Good job I don't do much sea fishing I suppose!

C

Chris Bishop

I couldn't get on with it, it feels totally wrong after a lifetime of holding a rod in your right hand.

L

Luke Hodson

The American idea is that you cast with the right hand. The rod is then placed in the left hand, which will do all the work in twitching and jerking the lure, the right hand just recovers line. The reason is that using this method both arms are worked which makes for an easy days fishing. The current method in Europe came from our practice of rod in right hand and reel in the left, a swith over was never used as we traditionally use such long and heavy rods.

S

Sean Meeghan

I think that the real explanation might be easier than you think. I've fished a lot in the US with my American brother in law and he has some pre-war Penn multipliers. The interesting thing about them is that they have no free spool mechanism. Now I don't know when the first free spools were fitted, but I suspect it was a post-war innovation. These pre-war reels were probably largely used for trolling. The thing is that if you look at early 20 th century geared reels that were designed to be fished ubder the rod they are very similar to the multipliers I mentioned. How did they migrate to the top of the rod? Easy: if you fish a rod in trolling rests the reel has to sit on top of the rod. It was easier for manufacturers to leave the handle and gears on the right hand side and anglers in the States got used to using the reels like that, so by the time the free spool was added the handle had got sort of stuck on the right hand side.

K

Kevan Farmer

I would like to add to my earlier list of manufacturers who supply multipliers with the winding handle on the left - when the reel is fished on top of the rod, properly. Badger Classics do some very nice reels at decent prices - start at around ?17 for a small baitcasting reel.

I honestly don't agree with the dominant hand/arm theory for winding. Give me a reel with the handle on the left hand side anyday. The left hand is then doing the donkey work - just going round and round. The right - I am of course right handed - has the more skilled task of both feeling the bite through the rod etc and knowing when to give line.

Kevan

B

Barry Kneller

The multi's that Badger are selling (very reasonably) at the moment are actually Banax Sounion's. If you do a search on the web for 'Banax' and/or 'Sounion' you'll find reviews from all over the world & they are really highly rated in the US & Oz. At under 30 quid they have to be the bargain of the year. There are sellers in the UK (again you can find them with a search) selling these reels (supposedly discounted) at getting on for double the price that Badger are doing 'em for.
Ive just bought a couple for lure fishing & they are excellent. They look and feel just like Shimano Calcuttas, showed them to Peter Waller last week & for a long moment he thought they were Calcuttas. The only possible drawback to buying these reels is that they are labelled as 'Badger' Sounion's.
Obviously the Tackle tarts among us wouldn't be seen dead with 'Badger' written in large letters on their reels - Great, say I, keep's 'em cheaper for the rest of us. (and they also match the excellent Badger Pike rods I bought last year)

Sits back & waits for the flack from the anti-Badger contingent.

B

Barry Kneller

Yepp, After 30yrs using them cackhanded I thought it was about time - first time I used a leftie I found it very strange (even tho' I've always used LHW fixed spool reels) but now I've used them a few times I'm begining appreciate the advantages of not having to change hands. The only disadvantage is that when you change hands you automatically cradle the reel to give the best grip for retrieving. With a LHW reel you tend to try to retrieve with the same grip used for casting & it feels a little awkward. No doubt I'll get used to it in time. Can't get used to that single handed rod & John Wilson LHW multi tho. Dunno if it's the reel or me - keep releasing too late & smashing the lure into the water about 5 yards away.

No bites yet from the Badger baiters yet? I'm disappointed in you.

G

Gerry Castles

I trust you'l blank out the names when you bring 'em on board my boat.