what is your favourite carp and why

A

Adam Dorontic

what is your fave carp and why also which carp do you think is easyer to catch

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Not sure if I could comment as to what carp is easier to catch as firstly I'd imagine this would depnd on stocks etc and even then how could you tell?

No sure even if I could state my favourite, although I've got to say that I prefer both mirrors and commons over the leather carp.

T

The Monk

favourite carp, "Wildies" Adam, everytime mate, but I think you'll be pushed finding a water with any in these days?

C

Cakey

Theres nothing like a big common !
Look at the front page of Carpworld this month.

CAKEY

T

The Monk

Probably the nearest, genetically, to a Wildie Cakey? or at least a similar Phenotype!

B

Buttocks Bullard

My favourite ? The next one in my landing net that beats my very average 18lb PB.

S

steve southwick

have to agree with cakey common carp everytime also i dont think any carp is easy to catch

R

Ron Clay

Crucian Carp.

I'll not say why, too many people will be pressing the red button :eek:]

T

Tony wainwright

I'm with the zimmer frame man on this one, crucian carp. Can anyone explain why they disappear? You might catch them on a regular basis for seasons and then one season they're just not there any more. Maybe we should call them snig carp 'cos I'm sure they climb out of the water and bugger off somewhere else!

S

Shrek

Have to agree with Cakey, commons are definitely my favourite.

Just lovely to look at.

W

Wag

The one on the end of my line!!!!!

Actually I really like the streamlined commons, often called wildies (but I'm not sure they are). The big fatties with huge bellies do nothing for me.

B

Buttocks Bullard

Same here Carl.........and I am not talking about carp!!

T

The Monk

Wildies is the name given to the original carp which had become established in British waters and it is argued became endemic inside our shores (not indiginous), Walton is quoted thus
" The Fourth Day, Hops and Turkies, carps and beer, Came to England in a single year"

I think however old Izaak, may not have notice the wildies which the Romans introduced prior to the arrival of the North American Turkey? Wildie were the fish which my ancestors used to breed for the Monestry Table.

The King Carp, although the same specie (Cyprinus Carpio), are however a genetically modified version, bred specifically for the table, the ideology being to produce a fat fish which you didnt have to descale (the Leather variety) throw backs of this process are your mirrors, leathers, line mirrors and the rest of the fat domestic pigs which we now have floating around in our lakes and pits. Because the King strain are of the same genetic base type as the Wildie, once King Carp had been introduced into a water containing Endemic Wildies, the gene pool (it is likely) would become polluted and thus the varieties mixed, other throw backs include Ghost carp, koi and fully scaled Mirrors. According to old Charlie Darwen all varieties will either speciate (decided by man) or revert back to their original format, this being over an evolutionary time scale.

My best King Common is a 39lb French Fish and my best English Wildie was 8lb, the latter fought in a comparable manner to the Amercian St Laurence fish, while my French fish was just kinda reeled in.

The Crucian Carp is an excellent fish, were the F**K have they all gone Ron?

A

Anthony Coser

Just come back from France where i caught the most beautiful carp in the world.A 29lb 12oz linear.Absolutely immaculate

C

Carp Angler

I know what Ron means about crucians.
They work away all night.

S

stu black

I live down the road from an Abbey that Henry VIII burnt down. in the grounds of it there is a pond in which swim about 6 carp. Is there a chance these are directly descended from when the monks were there or is it more likely theyve been stocked to fool punters like me?

T

The Monk

I would certainly have a look at it Stu, the last Wildie I caught in our neck of the woods was in 1976 It was a Monks training college at the time, The place has since been turned into a further education college, indeed my son was in attendance earlier this year, visited the place this year and was saddened to find it had been reclaimed by the surrounding vegetation. I wrote about it in Carp World about 1991 and think there is a picture with the article? "Chapel Pool Revisited" It was less than half an acre and only had one fishble swim, I actually use to wear a habit to gain access (thats true). Check the water out Stu and keep it too yourself for a while, or at least until I've inspected it for you Ha Ha

T

The Monk

He was a bit of a rum turkey old Henry VIII, a bugger with a box of matches, never got on with him too well!