Are we over the hill

R

Ron Clay

There is no doubt that Graham is one of angling's legends. His catches of big bream taken in the 60s and 70s will always be remembered.

Recently I was lucky enough to take a fair catch of barbel from the Trent. Bob Roberts, angling journalist from Doncaster was kind enough to give me a mention in his column in the Sheffield "Green 'Un" weekly sporting paper. He kindly called me a "veteran".

However these terms are something we over 60s have to face. Should we welcome our Zimmer Frames with grace or should we take on a new lease of life, fuelled by many years of experience and go out and catch more and bigger fish than the youngsters, dropping dead on the bank in the process.

What do other over 60s think?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Fish more car park swims, catch more and bigger fish than anybody.

Stay alive.

T

The Monk

I'm only a young lad of 51 Ron and they call me a fossil, I'm staying out of this one mate!

R

Ron Clay

You certainly look like a fossil in that blinkin' habit of yours.

How's the owl on your shoulder these days?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Good holiday, nice motorhome, glad to be back for some real fishing.

T

Tony wainwright

Ron, take it as a compliment mate!
We can substitute various adjectives for "veteran". How about experienced, knowledgeable, pensive, helpful?
If it wasnt for you guys where would all of the knowledge be?
We'd have to find everything out for ourselves!
I for one am certainly happy that our web site has its fair share of zimmer drivers.
By the way Ron, cash or cheque is fine...oops should have said that in an e mail!

T

The Monk

Actually Ron, compaired to you mate, I am over the hill, Pennines that is!

T

The Monk

looking at it geographically however, all yorkshire men are over the hill, then again, from another view point, Yorkshire men probably consider people from the Wild Northwest are over the hill, its all relative really. Southerners I expect think we are up the hill, while those nice braveheart chappies from North of the Border probably think we are down the hill,,yes yes, I know this is getting silly!!! eeeeer just ingnore this thread!

A

andrew jackson

Monk I live in the North west just, but I am not realy over the Hill more sort of on the hill.

T

The Monk

Not mad Cakey baby (you old Git), says so on this piece of paper mate!

"Sort of on the hill"?, look Andrew your either on the bloody hill or off it! (come on, lets have some sort of decision here matey)? Just in the Northwest?

A

andrew jackson

Yes of course I am on the hill but its a big hill, and technically you live on the same hill, but more down the Lanc's side than me. Where I live used to be in the far west of Yorkshire, due to boarder changes it is now in the far east of Lanc's. Just a little up the road from where I live is the Yorkshire boarder and the peak of that particular pennine road, so I live just into the north west.

T

The Monk

Let me get my head round this Andrew, used to be Yorkshire now the Northwest, A ah, your a hybrid!

A

andrew jackson

I am not an hybrid, Manchester born and bred me, I am just in exile in a place with a split personality. Its funny though, the old folk realy resent being in Lanc's after being born and then living in Yorkshire for a big chunk of their life.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Ron, real fishing is the sort I want to do and not that which I'm obliged to do by work. I enjoy both but the former is much more enjoyable than the latter.

R

Ron Clay

OK you guys, why is it that Yorkshire is a much prettier county (North of Leeds) than Lancashire? It's a much bigger county too.

Graham I understand fully what you are saying.