How to use a marker float?

C

Chris Isaacs

Being somewhat new to carping, i have always set up my rods and cast out into nowhere unless there are visible features such as islands etc. Recently someone showed me how to use a marker float for feature finding on the bottom. Very handy lesson indeed.

However, when casting to a known feature, i was taught that it is better to cast short, add the distance that i am short of the feature by pulling line off reel etc before clipping up and casting again.

Does anyone know of an accurate method of judging the distance i am short of as distance is always deceiving when looking out over the lake. ie, the other bank only looks as if it is 200 yards when i know it to be much longer.

T

Tony wainwright

Chris, I'm a relative novice aswell. can you tell me why its better to cast short?

C

Chris Isaacs

Dont take my word for this Tony but if you are casting to something like an island you dont want your tackle to end up as part of the feature. Cast short and increase the distance to make sure of this.

On open water it is also clearer where your bait is. If you cast long and then wind back you can never really be sure of where your bait is. This also causes problems if you wind back through weed etc.

Dpendant on the depth of the water too casting short should help as your lead will not sink vertically due to the continuing forward force that it has from the cast. Your lead will end up 2-3 feet in front of the point of surface entry in deep water.

C

Carp Angler

The distance you're trying to gauge isn't 200 yards though Chris.
If you cast short to the island or feature, are you not able to gauge if it's 5 or 10 yards short?
If you're unsure, then increase by a yard or two at a time until you think you're as close as you want to be.

There's no secret method to gauging distance, it's just practice I'm afraid.