Snake-bite or Snake-skin

B

Brett Chilvers

Any advice on colour, strength, rigs,
ect.ect.to use with them.Is snake-skin better than snake-bite?

R

Rob Stubbs

Brett,
I personally prefer mantis since it has better anti-tangle properties. I think mine is 25lb or thereabouts but to be honest I use mono hooklengths most of the time.

Rob.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Interesting one Brett as I used to use both, but with a preference towards snake bite as I'd use a hinged swivel for pop-ups as this would have been the only time I would have used snake skin. Now, I'm totally converted to flouro carbon for its transparency in water.

M

Major Major

I don't use Snakeskin an awful lot these days, although a friend of mine has used it a lot for barbel fishing and swears it got him more bites than braid. It can be a bit fiddly due to the very fine strands but gives a very fine presentation if you persevere.
Snakebite on the other hand is one the best hooklength materials ever in my opinion (although the new Super Mantis is giving it as good run for it's money).
I use 15lb SBite for barbel and small carp and 25lb SBite for larger carp, I use them in both green and brown and haven't found much difference between the two results wise. The 25lb is one of the toughest hooklengths on the market (similar to Quicksilver in it's abrasion resistance) and the only one I will use whilst fishing for carp in the snaggy rivers in France, it is also the first choice of most of the French anglers we know as well), it is.
By the way don't be conned by any of the copies eg Fox, the Kryston stuff is far superior.