Barbed hooks for Barbel.

M

Mike Cox

To all Barbel enthusiasts out there,
What views do you have on the use of barbed hooks for these wonderful creatures? Personally i think that we should all be made to use barbless hooks or a microbarbed hook at the very least.
What do you think?
MIKE COX.

S

Stuart Johnson

Why do think we should use barbless or microbarbed hooks Mike. IMHO barbless hooks for barbel cause more damage than barbed. Do to the nature and manner of the fight from a barbel a barbless hook will twist and move about a lot more than a barbed hook. Therefore a barbless hook will do a lot of damage to the fish.

D

Dave Dowson

Spot on Stu totally agree.
The young lad is only learning.
You know what its like I tell him all I know and he goes and catches an 11lb 12oz barbel. And makes me look like an amateur.
I will get my revenge on him.
You watch we are going out this weekend and I will have him quaking in his boots like those people in Dudley.
Tight lines
Dave
Pssst Stu Dont tell him I said this but he is actually a cracking angler.

M

Mike Cox

Guys,
Firstly Stu, i didn't actually think about it in that way but now that you have pointed it out it seams very obvious, and so the barbless theory goes straight out of the window.
Dave, you know i will always be the Barbel king!!!!! Hopefully this weekend will produce something as good as the last time we went out but it will have to be something special to beat that.
Thanks for the replies
MIKE COX.
P.S The earthquake was the other night. Is there one due for this weekend?

C

Carp Angler

In the past I've extensively tested hooks to breaking point, but one of the tests I used to perform was their effects under pressure and the state of the hook hole.
Using frozen wax and sides of pork to attempt to simulate flesh, I can say that with a fight where the fish changes direction (and I'd suggest that any sizeable fish will do this) that the hole that a barbless hooks creates by rotating is considerably larger than a barbed hook.

Most barbed hook bans are on venues that see inexperienced anglers and the owners must weigh up the damage that barbless hooks cause against the damage inflicted by an inexperienced angler removing a barbed hook badly.

S

Stuart Johnson

Mike, sorry mate I wasn't having ago just interested in hearing your opinion. Keep it up as I'm sure you will always stuff an old git like DD.

D

Dave Dowson

Rik,
You are full of incredible info my mate.
I would never ever have thought about experimenting along those lines.
If you are ever up Ellesmere Port mate let me know would love an hour or so with you over a pint or 3 too discuss fishing matters.
Stu,
Who you calling an old git.
It only takes a phone call to turn the list black.;-}
Tight lines guys.
Dave

T

The Monk

All depends on if you used one to get there in the first place Carp Angler?

Ignore these Southernies Dave, I'll come for a pint with yer mate!

C

Carp Angler

I'll actually be doing a Northern tour around the end of October.

I'll be having trips to the Severn (way up north), the Dove (is that Scotland?) and the Ribble (that must be in the Arctic circle), so happen along to any of those and I'll gladly talk bollox until the cows come home.

Buy me lunch in the Salt Box and I'll even tell you some bait secrets..........

T

The Monk

Actually Carp Angler the research you have done is admirable and I may even come to one of your talks and let you buy me a pint!

C

Carp Angler

mmmmmmmmmm
my mother warned me about men like you.

Does the term 'cottaging' mean anything to you?

T

The Monk

Most mothers warn their children about men like me?

Cottaging, no, you got me their mate?

Oh while your on matey (well actually your probably still in bed) you do realise those sides of pork you did your experiments on are a diffrent molecular structure and tissue type than the epiderm found inside the mouths of fish, the tissue in pork is more consolidated and compacted, while fish mouth tissue is thiner in menbrane structure with greater elasticity, thus making your research null and void!?

R

Ron Clay

I NEVER use barbless hooks for any kind of coarse fish, less so barbel.

I do however pinch down the barbs on some of the hooks I use. Recently I have been using a Raptor hook pattern for my Trent fishing which has a very tiny barb indeed, the hooks can be extracted very easily.

G

Geoff Cowen

I'm with Ron on this one - Raptor hooks are the best on the market for Barbel. The only shame is that they don’t do them in couple of sizes smaller.