Bolt Rigs

T

The Monk

The first I read of the Bolt Rig was in 1972, when Ron Clay pubished his findings of the South African Mealie Pip Trap (a controversial piece at the time), it didnt appear general knowledge in the British carp movement however until the end of the 1970's.

Did Bolt Rig methodologies change carp fishing for the better or has it been misused somewhat?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
You obviosuly have an opinion on this Monk, in your tone 'or has it been misused somewhat? - come on, spill the spag letters!

T

The Monk

I think the bolt rig was a development of the fixed lead Dave, the Mealie Pip Trap being the first fix lead I ever read about in English translation, although this methodology has been about for many years prior to Ron's writing about it, in countries which rely on fishing for substinance. You bring up an interesting point Dave, I should have been more precise and stated fixed lead, but I wanted to associate it will carp fishing methodologies and development, some fixed leads use to be used in sea angling, although I accept this is the carp thread, so point taken mate.

Stuart I'm keeping stum for the time being mate, I want to see how many fossils are on line!

D

Dave Rothery

Didn't they used to be called "frightener" rigs? like when fishing particles and they put a bit or biro tube 4" back up the line to shock the fish and prevent bite offs?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
'Stuart I'm keeping 'STUM' for the time being'. Monk, is that some kind of pigeon or whippet? :)

T

The Monk

The frightener rig Dave was a modern carp fishing teminology after the 80's. Actually bit offs was a science in itself, before the fixed lead became established, we had the twitcher, basically the carp had stopped running and we had to sit up all night trying to hit twitchers, it really kept you on your toes, no lying in the bedchair and watching the telly in those days, I used to sit between two rods like a gun fighter, trying to hit the slightest twitch. Sorry I'm going off the point again!

D

Dave Rothery

I think it might have been the other way 'round in carp fishing. they started off with a backstop 12" back up the line, so the caro could move off confidently, then bang hooked, and off they went. this distance got shorter and shorter as the fish wised up/angler got bored, till the lead was fixed with a clip to the swivel and the "fixed lead" was born. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!! or the lake. thats why we now have semi-fixed leads, so the fish can shed the lead. to give you an answer, i swear by OTHER people using fixed leads!! To be honest though, i dont think that "sliding" or run rigs are quite as slidey as we think...............

D

Dave Rothery

You had to sit between the rods to reset the heron heads!!

T

The Monk

Oh them Herons Dave were a bloody nightmare until I got a nice southern carpie to do me a modification jobby, a young lad called Del Romang, he actually customised them for me, before that I actually had a clock work one (true)! I can remeber one night, the silver paper fell off my line and I spent ages try to put it back on again, only to realise the line was steaming off the spool like a bat out of hell and the heron had gone to sleep!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Thats given me an excellent picture in my head Monk! Thanks.

Dave, I agree with the sliding/safety rigs not being as safe as we fink. The safety clasp is designed for the rubber to be pushed no more than about half way up the lead holding clasp. I've seen too many people push it right on and in fact turn the system back into a fixed lead. These days I cut the length of straight release plastic (off the clasp) back to half way. So when the fish gets snagged, the lead really is gonna come off. If that dosen't make sense to anyone, then let me know and I'll do photo and explanation for the rig page section.

T

The Monk

Some of the polymetric monecular structures used in the manufacture of certain types of tubing triggers a reaction when introduced to water, some bind and some expand, and other types dont react! (Apparently)?

T

The Monk

Hi Cakey, how you doing mate

come on whens your birthday then?

T

The Monk

Pictures in your head Stuart, you can take something for that mate!