Retirement 'Speech' from the Chatroom

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
There was so many messages zipping past in the Chatroom some members missed the little speech I was asked to make and have asked me to post it on the forum, so here it is if you missed it:

I've not used a chatroom before so it might not cope with too many words, so I'll keep it short.

Always the best thing about being editor and then managing editor of FM was the feeling of belonging to a nationwide fishing family and being responsible for keeping the family as happy as possible. It's always given me the greatest pleasure when someone has said that they feel like they belong to something special.

Like any family we've had our ups and downs, which is always to be expected. And no matter what the downsides were we've always emerged stronger and wiser.

One thing I've NEVER forgotten is that it's the members that matter. You can have the best articles and videos and the biggest names in fishing on a website, but the aim should always be to have the best members. Every single member is a person who is important, and the only time you reluctantly get rid of one is when he's making it miserable for the majority.

My greatest achievement with FM is bringing together the best bunch of lads (and the odd girl) in fishing, and I thank you all for being part of one of the best periods in my life.

Thanks to Richard for keeping the site alive, and I wish the team who are looking after FM now all the best for the future.

I won't mention names for there are far too many, but you know who you are who have supported me over the years. Many of whom I've made personal friends and who I fish with at every opportunity.

It's not goodbye though, more like 'see ya later!'

Now, where's me wallet? Get me one in somebody, I can't find it.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Nice one Boss ;)

May you have a long healthy and happy retirement, you've earnt it and deserve it......

Stay in touch mate.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
A very modest speech from someone who has contributed so much to many peoples angling lives.

I'm sure FM will continue to thrive as it is the members that hold the whole thing together and make it what it is. Considerable thanks should also go to Richard and his team for enabling FM to continue, cajoling Graham to continue "just for a little bit longer" and allowing FM to re-invent it itself.

Have a great and well earned retirement Graham, many happy fishing days, tight lines.

preston96

Reaction score
i Dont think any of us have known anything like FM before and i doubt we will again.

I have read the weeklies and the monthlies for a fair few years and this site has been something light years ahead of any of them....sometimes it must have been a bloody nightmare for you Gra, but i can honestly say i can not ever remember you getting the balance wrong.....i have made more angling pals thru FM than anything else linked to angling, i can fish anywhere in the country and have someone to give me up to the minute imformation.............thank you!

You are going to be a hard act to follow.

even harder than following you to the bar ;)

Last edited:

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Sorry to see you go Graham, I've enjoyed your company both on the site and on the river bank. Don't forget to drop me a line if you fancy a trip on the Ribble, I may even buy you a pint as well if that wallet of yours is still missing.
Regards
John

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Graham may be retiring, but he'll still be a big part of FM.
He has created a site that is informative and innovative, It is easy going with bags of humour and fair play.

Well done.

P.S my keyboard still singed from last night.

Steve King

Reaction score
Wishing you a long and happy retirement Graham.

Many thanks for making this forum what it is and steering us through those difficult times when our future was uncertain.

The forum has certainly changed over the years! How many of us remember the email list thingy that was the forerunner of Fishing Magic?!

Anyway now you have retired you can do the poacher turned gamekeeper thing in reverse and post a few controversial posts to wind up the mods!!!!:D:D:D

All the best

Steve

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
One of the all time great Anglers that has given us the best fishing website around.

Graham has given something back to the sport he has taken so much from, and still is.

It has been an honour to have met him, and i do mean that.

But there is one thing no one has ever managed to do yet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,get his wallet out of his back pocket:D:D

Have a great retirement Graham and many happy days fishng.

Reaction score
I can only echo the sentiments of my fellow FM'ers and say a big thank you Graham for all the work you've put in over the years to creating and maintaining a brilliant forum and comprehensive fishing resource.

I have made so many great friends through FM; it really is a one off creation.

Au revoir and tight lines Captain Marsbar :w:):)

Last edited:

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
Thanks Graham you ran this site with a firm but fair hand and a level head.
You made FM what it is today, the best all round fishing website bar none.
Best of luck to you and see you on the next one.

Morespiders

Reaction score
I will leave my options on your character open Marsden, get me another one of those tickets we never use, and i will re-apprise my options.:D

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
All the best Graham,get some fishin done .May the Source be with you.

A

alan whittington

Thanks a lot Graham,i only found FM a relatively short time ago,i wish it had been sooner,have a goodun mate.;)