What's you're favourite then?

R

Ron Clay

Various authorities and magazine tell us that carp are the most popular species amongst anglers in the UK.

I wonder.

Lets have a quick poll amonst FM members to find out what is our most popular fish and briefly why? I'll start the ball rolling by saying that my favourite is the roach, especially a river roach.

The way to determine you own favourite would be to set the scenario where you are only allowed to fish for one species for the rest of your lives. What would it be?

The reason I choose the roach is that this single species, to me, represents all that angling embodies. Although not big, it is beautful, elusive and can take a great deal of skill and understanding to catch consistantly.

T

The Monk

Favorite species Ron, big brested drunken blondes, oh and ferrets! I suppose carp are ok too? and eels and perch I suppose!

R

Ron Clay

I would have expected a reply like that from you.

1 for roach and 1 for carp up to now.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The old cliche of whatever I'm fishing for at the time first came to mind, but rather than a cop-out I'll say barbel.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
After the big breasted drunken blondes of course.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
They'd have to be drunk Graham!

Although I fish for carp mainly these days, the old 'tinca tinca' still hold my heart!

F

Fred Bonney

Tench for me too,closely followed by Chub.
I think the more I read about Barbel though,the more the idea of catching my elusive one appeals.

C

Carp Angler

You may wonder Ron, but we here on FM are not the masses and any poll would not really serve any purpose other than to diffrentiate which species other than carp we all like.

The majority of people fish commercial lakes that are full of carp up to mid doubles.
That is not just my mind thinking, that's why IYCF does so many articles on it, that's why they are half a dozen monthly mags on it and why the EA survey said that carp are the most popular species.

Just for your straw poll, my fave species IS carp.
Closely followed by barbel or roach (I can't decide which)

E

Eric Hayes

For me its Barbel because of the spirited fight they always give and the environment they inhabit, closely followed by Chub.

S

sam oddy

Tench in the Summer with a bit of carping until October then grayling for as long as I can.

S

Sean Meeghan

If I must make a choice its going to be Pike with Barbel and Perch a close second. Pike only win because I like lure fishing better than sitting behind my rods day-dreaming.

K

Kenneth Delaney

Got to be Pike, first fish I ever caught.
Even the babies jumping out the water just sets the pulse racing.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
This is so difficult, but if I was given the option of only catching one species ever again I would go for barbel.....or maybe tench... or roach..... or perch...Oh I don't know. Wouldn't want to make the call as they are all my 'favourite fish' at different times depending on how I feel. Even carp are sometimes.....

B

Barry Kneller

At the moment - Pike, Pike & more Pike!

might be something different in a year or so but it'll never be carp again.