Has the commercial world gone mad?

B

Bob Watson

I read in one of the weeklies today of plans for a new type of commercial fishery.
Get this all you purists out there; a man made river complete with weirs and/or waterfalls.
How do they achieve this? The old picture puzzle of the ever inclining staircase springs to mind but no, even simpler, a bloody great pumphouse, Brilliant!
No more arguements about stocking Barbel into "still" waters then! Just think, in winter when all our rivers are in flood they can turn the pumps up full and replicate them at the flick of a switch, no more trees, branches or dead cows to worry about picking your line up.
Good idea or what? I think not!

T

The Monk

Welcome to the future Bob, we've already destroyed most of the natural environment!

B

Bob Watson

It'll be popular Monk, no doubts there. Let em have it I say, more room on the banks for me and my like, each to his own!
As for the natural environment, never seen it mate! I'm only 37 and a townie :)

I

Ian Whittaker

It wouldn't take off unless they made it heated and indoor, possibly with a viewing area!

R

Ron Clay

It will appeal to you soft lot dahn sarf because all your rivers with odd exceptions have been destroyed.

To think I nearly went to live in Surrey. They are not real people there.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I've had bigger chub out of the river Mole going through surrey, then anywhere else I've fished. Many may be ruined, but in deepest darkest Kent, (near me shhh..!) they've been stocking barbel at 300 a year for the past 4 years. Biggest out so far is 14lb. We'll be catching up with you northern tight-wags in no time!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I agree with about the people in Surrey though Ron, I would like to stick their all knowing attitudes right up their F****** Arse!

R

Ron Clay

Oh the North/South Divide....:eek:)

Now we've got the East/West in the South as well as the North, Yorkies and Lancs for instance.

I love the guys in Wiltshire, Oxon and Dorset _(Aaaarr) however. Real people there.

R

Ron Clay

By the way Stuart I take it that's the Medway.

At it's got nothing to do with being tight in the North, it's got to do with being poor! ;o{

J

Jim Hinchley

Back to Bobs original point about overstocked man made rivers with pump houses i say what a wonderful idea. It can only mean the same as other commercial fisheries which is less anglers on proper rivers so more water and choice of swims for me.

R

Rupert Stephenson

this idea is old hat , seen it , fished in them years ago at a trout fishery near whitington , midlands.
they said the pump running made the trout and salmon swim against a permanent flow producing a better muscled fish which grew quicker bue to the increased oxygen and food conversion rates.

how much truth is in the idea i cant say , but it was very popular with anglers .

the idea i can see as only bieng good for angling as it will give another avenue to the casual angler and his kids to go fishing and catch a few fish , the purists will have the rivers then more to themselves
to carry out traditional angling.
rupert coventry

T

The Monk

You are quite right Rupert, this type of thing has been done before and is being done on a regular basis probably more often than what you think and I find it worrying , its basically man playing god and attempting to create a natural environment, the scientists call it "creative conservation", what this basically does is gives big business the right to destroy the natural environment under the auspices that they can recreate it where ever and whenever they want. people talk about the natural english countryside, but not much of it stll exists, its mainly designed by man. Mother nature is a far better designer than man and shes certainly being at it a lot longer!

R

Ron Clay

I can't understand why they want to create waters like this when there is a wealth of rivers in the UK.

The money would be better spent on conserving these wild natural rivers.

T

The Monk

Yes it would Ron, but they can probably make more money out of the novelty factor?

R

Rodney Wrestt

If they stock a river they can't keep 'their' fish in their own stretches and anglers might wander off further down the bank.

T

Tony wainwright

The reasons are obvious. There will be a perfectly conditioned "river" 365 days of the year.
Swims will be created so they are perfect. No low water levels, dead cows (sic)etc.
They know the fish will be there and so will the anglers.
Its a commercial venture which will make the owners a lot of money.
Question. If it is a man made river, it is still a "river" so will they have a closed season? I think not.
Next thing you know is that they will be heating the water to encourage growth!
I am not an experienced river fisherman but I certainly would not want to learn how to catch on rivers by using this water.I would imagine that it will be a lot easier to catch at this place than on a natural river, so only those who want the satisfaction of having done the work to catch will then fish a "natural". I suspect that there are a lot of river fishermen out there who would be more than happy to fish this place.
It's worked for the commercial carp fisheries so it will probably work here aswell.

R

Ron Clay

"A perfectly conditioned river for most of the year"...????

Oh dear!

Now I do feel very old. Mind you I'm glad in a way I will not live long enough to witness the travesties that will be created in the name of angling.

Seriously word escape me. Just what is happening to our great sport?

C

Chris Bishop

Then again what about all those rivers you fish up here..?

Old Nene, Old Bedford, even the mighty Great Ouse. Without exception they're all man-made.

In fact I'd be sitting in three feet of water right now if it weren't for Vermuyden.

R

Ron Clay

There is a difference Chris. The draining of the fens was done to reclaim land for agriculture.

The artificial river proposed is to extort money from anglers.