Foul Hooking

T

Taffy Jones

Short 2 hr session earlier today and managed to get (for me) 2 good-sized carp - mirror of about 7-8lbs and a leather just under 13lbs (my first double).
However, some of the gloss taken off the catch because they were both foul-hooked, although the initial take seemed ok.
Was this just an unfortunate coincidence or am I doing something wrong. Size 6 barbless hook on 10lb main line, attached to a swivel and 6lb line through to the hook, lead shot above the swivel. One was hooked on its' flank and the other about 4" from the tail.
Any ideas guys??

C

Carp Angler

Can you give a bit more info Taf.
Did you put out any loose feed and what was your hookbait?

As an aside, please explain more in-depth what 'lead shot above the swivel' entails.

D

Dave Rothery

Could be the fish rolling on the bottom-they tend to swim along sideways. they tend to do it around spawning time in grave humps etc, but it could be you just got them feeding like mad! remember that spot!

C

Cakey

'lead shot above the swivel' please tell me its a typing mistake !

C

Cakey

or have I got it wrong again,he never mentioned lead did he,i'm sorry for jumping the gun.

CAKEY

T

The Monk

Taffy, we could do with seeing a sketch of your rig if thats possible mate?

T

Taffy Jones

Sounds as though I might be in the firing line here but hopefully I can clear up on or two of the issues.
I should have said 'shot' perhaps (definitely NOT LEAD - old fashioned term that's all) and this was placed on the rod-end of the swivel - to me that's 'above'.
Hook bait was luncheon meat and little or no additional feeding had been dished out - a second rod on the float was probably 10-15 metres away and this was loose fed with maggots & casters.

T

The Monk

You wont be in the firing line Taffy, you've done the sensible thing and asked for advice, well done with your fish by the way, there are some very capable anglers on line who will be only to happy to help you out, its probably difficult though with the information you have initially supplied.

C

Carp Angler

I think what Cakey (and myself, but more politely) are trying to ascertain, is whether you have any weight (e.g. a bomb) as well as the shot above the swivel or are you using the shot as the casting weight?

T

Taffy Jones

Certainly appreciate the help - what I'm trying to determine is whether I'm doing anything wrong because I feel landing a fish the way I did doesn't seem to count as a pb.
There was no bomb - the only casting weight was 3 AAA shot.