pike holding lures

R

Rupert Stephenson

just got back on line and read Professor Barrie Rickards article on pike letting go of baits/lures when seeing the angler.
my question , i have had this happen many time , especially with big jerk baits , how would you overcome this problem and actually hook the fish ,

is the problem caused by using big baits <10">with a large body area with no hook in that area?
rupert coventry.

G

Gerry Castles

Clearly the fish is spooked by the sight of the angler on the skyline. The answer is to stay as low as it is practical to do so. I usually fish from boats in a seated position, it helps. I recall a day last February when my boatpartner was standing in the boat and a 20 plus fish followed my lure back to boatside. I saw the fish, my boat partner thought I hadn't and pointed at the fish. At which point the pike took it's eye of the lure looked at my boat partner, turned tail and fled.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Posted on behalf of Barrie Rickards:

I would suggest that the reason these fish let go and drop off is that they are gripping the lure so tightly, from the moment they strike, that they are not hooked in fact. There is no easy answer, but you could try jiggling the tackle a little (different angle of pull, mini-strikes) just before the pike hoves into view. That way you may shift the lie of the trebles (and if the fish is already hooked it will not make much difference).

R

Rupert Stephenson

thankyou Graham and Barrie

that is a reason that i also noticed.
would it be feasable or indeed sporting to mount a set of flying trebles on each side of the large lures in the area where the pike grabs
i.e drill a hole in the center of the lure and wire trace mount a trebel either side of the lure...?

G

Gerry Castles

It would not be sporting. Flying trebles on each side of the lure are notorious for causing damage to pike particularly if they catch the pike on the outside of the mouth. There is a fair chance of eye damage. Even inside there is a risk that a whole gaggle of hooks imbedded in the mouth will cause an unacceptable level of damage to the fish. A small single stinger treble hook behind the main hook are less likely to cause problems and are very effective with lures like bulldawgs and lures mounted on single hook jigs.

G

gary knowles

Try a smaller lure....

Note, this is not meant as a sarcastic answer, both myself and a lot of friends (and at the weekend I saw a talk given by to a world class Dutch angler saying the same) all agree that our bigger fish come on baits of 7" and less - usually considerably less.

anyone want to buy some huge jerkbaits, no scratches, toothmarks, etc....

R

Rupert Stephenson

well we will scrap the flying trebel idea .
and as for smaller lures , i did end up the season using 4 and six inch jerks and did catch more pike using them , so there maybe is sound advice in your theory.