Alternative Hookbait Shapes

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
It is true, we're so used to baiting our rigs with either single or double boilies and this article shows a thinking mans perspective of working outside the box. I break up boilies and send them out and normally fish a single (whole) boilie or two in a snowman fashion. Its stands to reason that If I'm feeding broken boilies, I should at least try fishing with them. Nice one big fella, I'll be reporting back on my results....

C

Carp Angler

Have a play around with different shapes mate.
You'll have the advantage of not worrying about the hair tangling on the cast......

P

Paul Williams

You pair are gonna have to stop biting those boilies in half though......you know you can't resist eating the bit in yer mouths and you're both big enough aready!

D

Dave Rothery

No, maybe too ashamed to admit it! Next thing you'll be saying you use the hair, boiled specials and those heavy 2oz leads. I have also heard that one bloke has 1 1/2lb test rods, but that must be a mistake....

C

Carp Angler

Me, ashamed?
We'll have to meet up Dave, then you'll know that I have no shame.

D

Dave Rothery

When shall i admit i've got a boat too and its been a wind up?

D

Dave Rothery

Hang on, thats now 4 threads boats have wormed there way into!

T

The Monk

Stuart

On one of the Manchester Park Lakes we used to fish, one of the guys use to make little men shaped boilies, we called them "Morphs"

like good luck charms really because we are a bit suspicious up here, suprisingly they actually worked and at one point out fished round boilies, it just that it takes days to make up a decent amount and sometimes the head falls off when you cast them out!

D

Dave Rothery

Cut any shape out of the nozzle of a bait gun, and youll get an odd shape sausage. then just chop it into odd sized baits. no two will be the same, so mr carp wont be able to tell the difference. problem is by the time you've boiled them they end up looking like pellets(or maybe its not a problem)
I remember someone making morphs and catching on them (he just used them as hookbaits) - theyre just a pain in the a**e to make!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
They call him Big Rik (no shame). I mean, Im only six foot @ 17.5 stone and our little Rik picks me up like a rag dole. Shame, although I wish it was, unfortunately, it's not in his volcabulary!

C

Carp Angler

You? 17.5 stone????
Have you lost a leg recently then my chubby little friend?

Anyway, back on topic you git.

A

andrew jackson

I forgot about the morphs Monk. I had some degree of sucess on there using greedy pig rigs with about 6 baits threaded on the hair. It was the time when the stringer was being used by every angler and his dog. In fact I nearly got lynched on there one cold february morning. There were four anglers toughing it out on the lake side of the bomb hole. They had been bivvied up for 14 nights without a fish. I turned up, cast in my Greedy pig rig, and the line whipped out of my hand before I had chance to set up my monkey climber. What made it worse was, as we were weighing it one of the guys shouted over enquiring as to the weight of the fish. My mate who had never used a set of avons before and was a bit of a novice replyed before I had chance to say anything. It was clear to them and me, that the fish was nothing like as big as he had said, and they went totaly balistic, I though I was going to get my head bashed in. :eek:)

D

Dave Rothery

As well as different shapes (to make eject harder) there the different flavour/bait to catch them unawares

D

Dave Rothery

If fish are getting wary over beds of bait, fishing a different single bait, or something like maize, over the top. I think you did something similar stu on the other threads. The arena in essex was getting a lot of activ8 going in, and people were doing well on it. results started to dry up. Along comes a few anglers using nash choc malts, and started to catch a lot of fish by fishing singles over old beds of bait.
Maybe the fish just get bored by the taste of the same bait? If we had a big lump of prime steak and chips every day, a cheese sandwich might seem like heaven after a couple of weeks months! Could be why you sometimes see a "noddy" turn up with his half bag of tutti's and proceed to out fish everyone on their "proper" baits