Angling Jokes

T

The Monk

Not being seriously minded, I've always had a fondness for the funnier side of the sport, one of my favourite all timers is Manchester's Cliff Parker!

Whats Yours?

P

Paul Williams

I used to love to read Chris Binyon in the old Coarse fishing mag.....also snide rumours and dirty lies in the same mag. who wrote that, anyone know?

T

Terry Comerford

The late, great, Frank Barlow in Anglers Mail, his dry sense of humour,and character descriptions were superb.
Who could forget all those endless mickey takes of anglers personalities.
'Gizza Fag', 'Yellow Wellies', and 'A Quarter to Three Feet'were only three of the dozens of 'Kenny Everitt' types, that he 'apparently' met on the bank.
Being an angler and having a good sense of humour has always gone together, but unfortunatly, thats not portrayed in the angling media today.

C

Cakey

One day while driving home from his fishing trip in the pouring rain, a man got a flat tire outside a monastery. A monk came out and invited him inside to have dinner and spend the night. The motorist accepted. That night he had a wonderful dinner of fish and chips. He decided to compliment the chef. Entering the kitchen, he asked the cook, "Are you the fish friar?" "No," the man replied, "I'm the chip monk."

C

Cakey

Cakey: Hey Monk, are you going fishing?
Monk: Yeah!
Cakey: Ya got worms?
Monk: Yeah, but I'm still going!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

What is the definition of a 'Fisherman's Thumb'?
A temporary hook holder

What is the definition of a 'Fisherman's Knot'?
The insecure connection between your baited hook and your fishing line

What is the definition of a 'live bait'?
The biggest fish you will handle all day

What is the definition of a 'Treble Hook'?
A hook that trebles the odds of you catching a fish but quadruples the odds of you getting it caught in your thumb

What is the definition of an 'Angler'?
An obsessive individual who owns a house that is falling down due to neglect

C

Carp Angler

I deleted that one Wol.
Not really sitable for a family site.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

A man was stopped by a game warden in Northern Michigan recently with two buckets of fish leaving a lake well known for its fishing. The game warden asked the man, "Do you have a license to catch those fish?"
The man replied to the game warden, "No, sir. These are my pet fish."
"Pet fish?" the warden replied.
"Yes, sir. Every night I take these here fish down to the lake and let them swim around for a while. I whistle and they jump back into their buckets, and I take em home."
"That's a bunch of hooey! Fish can't do that!"
The man looked at the game warden for a moment, and then said, "Here, I'll show you. It really works."
"Okay, I've GOT to see this!" The game warden was curious now. The man poured the fish in to the lake and stood and waited. After several minutes, the game warden turned to the man and said: "Well?"
"Well, What?" the man responded.
"When are you going to call them back?" the game warden prompted.
"Call who back?" the man asked.
"The FISH."
"What fish?" the man asked

C

Chris Bishop

I was a big fan of Binyon (who died recently, aged 71..) Snide Rumours and all that.

Perhaps we ought to revamp it or lobby GM to start a gossip column. Some of the stories you see on here should be preserved for posterity.

S

Steve King

I think the funniest Angling cartoon book ever is "Thelwell's Compleat Tangler". I don't know if its still in print, but I bought a copy in a market recently. It still cracks me up as much as when I first read it back in the late 60s.

B

Bob Watson

Snide rumours was wrote by Mudslinger, never knew his real name, maybe he's a member???????

C

Chris Bishop

I always thought - and I could be wrong - that was a nom de plume for David Hall, the original editor.

Perhaps Graham, who's been writing for them since the 70s (sorry Graham...), can shed some light on it.

B

Bob Watson

I thought David Hall was the publisher, could be wrong though!

B

Bob Watson

Take your word for it Chris. Didn't he go on to publish that or something else? David Hall Publishing/Publications seems to ring a bell!

T

The Monk

Paul and Chris, Chris Binyon with Barry the Hat, abosultely brilliant, wasnt they members of the Lucio group,later the Oxford Circus?, sorry to hear chris is dead, an excellent writer.

Cakey, nice one mate Ha Ha

Steve, Thelwall was a brilliant cartoonist, still have a copy!

Mudslinger could have been David Hall? I'm almost sure he was involved with snide rumours, One of the earliest mags I remember David launching was ca 1977 Coarse Fisherman, I still have a full colletion.

I also like some of what I call the modern carp angling stuff, like Rob Maylin and Albert Romp?

R

Ron Clay

Is "Black Lizard" still going?

I've forgotten which magazine its in.

T

The Monk

yes Ron, Carp World, old mr Parsnip, I think we've both been reluctant contributers over the years mate?

B

Bob Watson

Lets not forget the sites very own Kevin Perkins, Great imagination!