Boilies are blown

V

vince battams

On a water where it seems the carp have wised up to boilies, what approach bait wise should be made bearing in mind bream are a nuisance fish on the water.

C

Carp Angler

What do you mean by wised up Vince and what boilies are they?

If they're avoiding large beds of brightly coloured, overflavoured baits, then read some of the replies by Andy on the other flavour thread
here

Are they avoiding all shapes, sizes, flavours and colours of all baits that are boiled?
I find that very difficult to comprehend and would reason that they are just being cautious over certain types.

The quick answer is tigers and hemp, but I'm sure if we got to the crux of the issue, it would be flavour and application.

V

vince battams

CA the latest report i have got from a water i am looking at fishing is not many fish are falling to the boilie, whereby when i fished it a few weeks ago activ-8's were the main produces apparently, tiger nuts are also banned on this water.

D

Dave Rothery

Is everyone buying there bait rolled from shops? If so, they are all 18mm - try a diffrernt size, or try fishing maize or a different flavour bait over the top. Try colouring the bait black(for example). People are quick to blame the bait, but normally its the application. See Riks/Stu's "alternative shapes" thread.
Has anyone found the going tough the last few weeks with the air pressure staying so high?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I had a session on Thursday night and all was well until about 10 o'clock, then bang the temperature started to drop dramatically through the ight ans this has carried on to date. I blanked that session if that answers your question Dave?

A

andrew jackson

Vince it sounds to me that the fish are now begining to treat Active with an eye of suspicion. This is not uncommon when a bait has been all conqering. The way I have always dealt with such a situation, is to play on the fact that they are only capable of limited reasoning. They recognise active as a good food scource and want to eat it, but they also know there is an element of danger, the trick is to do something that will throw them off the plot. My favorite ploy in such a situation is to bait up as per usual, but to cast my hook baits off the baited area. Another ploy I have used, which is a bit off beat, is to cast out a stringer of bait that I am sure they will be wary of, but use the previous going bait on the hair. My theory behind this is to create a greater source of danger, then hopefully they will take the bait that they recognise as a food scource. I have no real proof that this theory works as described, but it has caught me fish from some very tricky waters. As Rik says, this is a bait application thing, you will have to do something out of the ordinary to trip them up. I have also had some good fish using black baits as Dave has suggested, as well as colouring them black, I also just skinned my freebies. I thought this would flustrate them a little bit, as the scorce of food would not be that easy to find.

T

The Monk

we debated about baits blowing in the dark ages, how long a memories do you think carp actually have?

D

Dave Rothery

Depends on whether they "remember" or are conditioned. maybe they just get bored of the taste?