New rods

V

vince battams

I will hopefully be looking soon to purchase three new 12ft rods, i will not be looking to buy expensive ones but will be looking in the budget to mid range priced rods, with a little help from you folk i would like your input into whats the best budget or mid range rods on the market at the moment.

C

Carp Angler

In the budget range, I'd say the Nash Outlaw, if only by virtue of the fact that my local shop has sold 100's and has not had any back.
It's well finished and has a good action.
I haven't seen any other rods on the same blank which should be cheaper, but stand to be corrcted by others.

Fox Rangemaster 2 at ?75 must clinch it in the second class, I've just got a 12' 3lb as a marker rod and it's superb.
I'd have no qualms about throwing a rig out on it if I needed to.

That's what I'd recommend if you came into the shop, others will obviously have different views.

(cue Monk mumbling about Vortex Supremes, or Shakespeare Alphas)

D

Dave Rothery

Keep an eye on eBay - you see rods going for silly prices on there, but obviously you wont get warranty/choice, etc.

R

Rob Brownfield

I am thoughly impressed by the Daiwa Powemesh carp rods. These have been on the go for years, with minor revisions recently. They are truely a great rod, with two actions available, Fast for distance and normal for all round. They run from 2 pound tc uptp 3pounds. Shop around an you can get them new for ?80 each.

D

David Whitmill

Shimano Hyperloops are good rods and you can get them for under ?40 new. I bought two (12ft 2.75tc)off Ebay for ?55.

S

simon hall

Rik,

I saw a guy last weekend fishing with the Nash outlaw rods and was very impressed and he told me he paid ?60 each for these rods. He said they were great rods and he has never had any trouble with them. He also told me about the Nash Hooligun rods which are a bit more expensive at ?100 each. I had a look at some at the weekend and they seemed very nice. Do you think it is worth the extra ?40 per rod for the Hooligun's. Not sure what the difference is between the two? I will be buying 3 of them and not sure whether to pay the extra ?120. I normally fish with two and a three quarter test curve as I do a lot of catfishing. Any ideas?

jason chettleburgh

Reaction score
Hi lads,first post so take it easy on me please ;0)
I just bought a pair of 3lbs giants made by leeda i belive,full duplon grips,fuji reel seat,slim woven blank and fuji SIC rings and i only paid ?55 each new reduced from ?99 I used them for the first time sunday and they were great,got to be worth a look
all the best
jay

C

Carp Angler

Welcome aboard Jason.
Mike Fidler swears by his Giant rods, I've got their spod rod and it's the best one I've used.

Simon,
If you want cat rods, then the new Fox Method masters are absolutely ideal.
3 1/2lb TC but with a progressive through action.
RRP ?75, if they sold them as Cat masters, people would willingly pay double for them.

A

Andy Davis

Buy some second-hand eh Rik :eek:) althought they seem to catch more tench than carp!