pop-ups

S

stu black

Yesterday, I had a very short session and thought I'd try popping a bait 3ft straight off the (semi)fixed lead. I used 2.5 oz lead. I had a run on it, wound down and struck nothing. This was the first time I've used a rig like this and started me thinking.

I know 2.5 is more than enough to prick a fish with a short hook length, is it the same with a long hook length or would i need a much heavier lead for the same bolt effect?

What are your thoughts on these sort of rigs?

S

stu black

it was originally tied to hold 1 1/2 14 ml boilies tight to the bend of the hook, though i only had one full one on.

So about 6-7 ml longer than the boilie

D

Dave Rothery

Could be the fish are holding are holding the bait in their lips-try mounting the bait tight, or use an extended hook like a long-shank nailer, or the "looney extension rig"(remember that!!)to push the bait down the hook - the hook will go in before the bait.

S

stu black

with this loony rig, is the boilie mounted at the same level as the eye? meaning that a fish cannot take the boilie without the hook entering its mouth?

D

Dave Rothery

Pretty much-see if anyones got a copy of "tiger bay" or "fox pool by rob maylin and you'll see it in there

D

Dave Rothery

its a shank extension using shrink tube, so the bait would actually be before the hook.

C

Carp Angler

If you know the Withy Pool rig, then that is taken to the extreme, where as The Savay Looney extension was a gradually curved shrink tube extended down from the eye.
Terry Hearn uses the same priciple with his stiff bristle filament rigs, by curving the line.

If I get chance I'll post pictures up to the rigs page.

S

stu black

That'd be great, Rik, ta.

Do i need to get this "riggy" to fish a long pop-up or is this how it needs to be?

S

stu black

Had a good look at that and the thread that goes with it. Tied a couple up using IQ, will give 'em a go. Cheers both for your thoughts.

R

Robert Woods

Regarding sliding "D" rig what hooks do you use as I'm using Kamasan B175's at the moment(also use esp stiff rigger & talon tip hooks).For popups I use Terry Hearn rig,what boom length would you use...have tried 10" but was advised to cut this down...does it make any difference as I get confused at all the rigs we can use.Have gone back to simple nylon rigs for bottom fishing.

C

Carp Angler

The boom needs to be as long as you can use.
The stiff boom is used to push the bait away from the lead.
People use 6" because that is comfortable for them.
If you use 10 and you're catching, then why should you change?
If you're getting aborted takes or dropped runs, then it may pay to look at changing things about.

B175 and Stiff Riggers are ideal hooks, as are Incizors or any straight, semi-long shank designs.